We’re changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we’re a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it’s a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that’s just what we’re doing today. We’re thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we’re in for the long haul. We’re reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
Uber is looking for top-notch Senior Manager to manage a team of both system and software engineers who automate and build compute infrastructure at scale. The team that you will be managing also defines, validates, and repairs the hardware servers for our datacenter fleet. We are a team of generalists with strong backgrounds and varying expertise across all parts of the stack at scale.
We actively challenge existing hardware trends and are always seeking the best solution to a problem. Not only are we solving our own problems, but because of our scale, we are solving problems that other companies have not yet had. This means we work closely with vendors and help shape their roadmaps to solve these problems.
This role involves a wide variety of technologies across large number of disciplines. You will be expected to jump in and develop strong solutions at scale. We do not have responsibilities set in stone, and are always looking for talented individuals to push us forward. We value the input of all our teammates, and it is important that you can contribute right away both with ideas, engineering management, and hands on engineering. You will have an opportunity to make an immediate impact that improves the quality of our infrastructure.
This is a full-time position based either in San Francisco (preferred) or Palo Alto.
What You’ll Do
Uber is growing rapidly. We are excited to find a new leader to expand our uMetal Hardware Systems Engineering team. We are looking for an innovative industry expert for the Sr Hardware Systems Engineering Manager position. This position will be responsible for technically leading the team which defines hardware server specification according to the Uber sw workload, qualifies the hardware servers, automates hw qualification, and automates the onboarding of racks for datacenter deployment and repairs. This job also requires diving with the team into the hardest technical issues that show up during hw qualification or in the hardware fleet at our datacenters and finding the technical solution with the root cause.
- Manage and support hardware server specification definition based on Uber SW loads.
- Drive the automation for qualification, benchmarking, and other aspect of efficiency improvement.
- Define key metrics to track for hardware system engineering efforts.
- Manage execution of hardware qualification and debug
- Drive the development of tooling and scripting for onboarding racks of servers from different vendors
- Manage on call duties and operational work for the team.
- Drive career development and mentoring with the team.
- Foster and expand a world class engineering team.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or software engineering
- 8+ years of experience managing a team of system engineers or production engineers.
- Strong background in mentoring engineers and providing career developmentsupport.
- Strong communication ability with stakeholders, upper management, and internal team.
- Strong project management experience for schedules, firefighting, and resource assignments.
- Experience with automation. You should have an instinct and intuition to guide the automation done by the team to improve the efficiency of our processes.
- Experience with C++, but you should at least have a good background in one or more high level scriptinglanguage.
- Experience with server feature definition, validation and repairs.
- Strong experience in the Linux environment and a good understanding of its fundamentals, such as DHCP, PXE, various imaging solutions, packaging, kernel tuning, etc.
- Real world experience with something like Puppet, Chef, Saltstack, or Ansible.
- Familiar with networking: Good working knowledge of TCP/IP is important. You need to be able to troubleshoot issues using tcpdump.
Bonus Points If
- Master's degree in electrical engineering or software engineering
- 10+ years of management experience as senior manage or director of engineering
- Strong operational experience in managing and monitoring a hyperscale datacenter hardware fleet of 500K-1M servers.
- Experience with working closely with sw application developers
- Experience with deploying and managing servers in hyperscale datacenter environment
About the Team
The uMetal team provides the on-demand metal service to keep Uber’s innovation running. uMetal builds the base layer of compute resources for developers, riders, drivers, and self-driving cars rely on every day. Supporting billions of rides and fast-forwarding to the future of self-driving cars, Uber’s data center team has some of the most interesting challenges around.