Bank of the West, Digital Channel Group - San Francisco, California
We are undergoing a dramatic transformation to reimagine our brand, experiences, and products. We know real change is hard work, which is why we need people who are aligned with our values and ready to make a serious impact on our industry and the world. We need your experience, optimism, and energy to define, design, and build the future.
We are throwing past constraints and assumptions out the window as we redesign and rebuild all of our digital products. From our native mobile apps to our extensive portfolio of online products and services we aim to reset the bar for consumer experience in the financial industry. To accomplish our goals, we are building a team of professionals assembled from e-commerce, entertainment, fintech, and social media.
We are looking for people unafraid of bringing their authentic selves to work. Our inspiration and collaboration depend on the diversity of our teams, and inclusion of all voices in our process. We value honesty, transparency, and positive leadership. We are not interested in corporate politics. We appreciate action. We reward continual improvement. We want you to grow. We want you to be yourself. We want you to ask for help and help your peers. We want you to work hard and be proud of the results. We want you to take vacation. We know that when we support you, you will do the best work of your career.
Our eyes are on the future and we need you to help make it happen, join us.The Design Org
The role of Design is critically important and highly visible as we lead the way in building the future of our brand. During this rapid growth period we are intensely focused on three aspects of internal improvement to ensure success:
1. Fostering a fun and healthy Design Culture
2. Codifying a Design Process that is grounded in collaboration and group critique to support and challenge all Designers to do their best work
3. Hiring and retaining extraordinarily talented individuals who desire to work in an environment where we all share the belief that 'Design is how it works'.
Our organization operates in a Centralized Partnership model and is responsible for all Product Design, Visual Design, Brand Design, User Experience Design, Content Strategy, Design Research, Design Operations and Design Program Management. Our partnerships include deep collaboration with Product, Engineering, Data, Marketing, and Business teams. The Role of a Senior Product Design Manager / Director
As a member of the Design Org leadership team your role will be to lead a team of direct and indirect reports focused on Product Design. Your leadership skills and practical, direct understanding of your team's professional work is a key component to your success. While your day to day work executing design directly will be infrequent your success will depend on understanding and orchestrating the craft of the people you lead. Your design skills and creative direction must inspire and challenge them to do their best.
The majority of your team's work will focus on interactive digital products for native mobile apps and responsive web design. They will be creating journey maps, wireframes, user stories, personas, mockups, and interactive prototypes. Your role in this process will include facilitating group critiques, approving work, recruiting and retaining new talent, and developing a long-term vision.
As a group leader, you will represent the Design Org during internal and external presentations, executive and C-level stakeholder meetings, and cross-departmental initiatives. You will engage directly with your peers in Product Management, Engineering, Marketing, and Business team as well as their direct reports.
The perfect candidate will be a natural artist and simplifier, steeped in observation and listening skills, skilled at presenting their design perspective, open to feedback or constraints, and accepting of compromise when necessary. Essential to success is deep experience in the digital consumer space, magical communication skills, and a talent for inspiring others to join our cause and do their best work. Your most important measure of success will be the individual success of all members of your team. Key Responsibilities
QualificationsExperience & Qualifications
- Lead Product Designers and Design initiatives for multiple concurrent projects
- Mentor and manage Designers in the Design Org across a broad range of experience from interns, Product Designers, Business Partners and Design Leads.
- Recruit, hire, and retain a diverse group of talented and engaged Designers
- Help your team do their best work through positive coaching and continually challenging them to grow and raise the bar on all work from our organization.
- Build upon the existing Design System and patterns through your reports to increase the quality of the work.
- Be able to build a coaching plan for Product Designers to help level set their skills and contributions to the design team and organization.
- Participate in all phases of the product development lifecycle, including product ideation and definition, user research, identifying deliverables, estimating effort, design, UAT, post-launch evaluation, and stakeholder communication.
- Be able to gauge your team's ability to deliver work on time and with a certain level of fit and finish.
- Present strategic and tactical plans to your reports and executives to build confidence in the vision you work being developed by your team.
- Co-collaborate with the User Research team so you are focusing on the correct products being built.
- Collaborate with different business leads your team will represent and coach them in the best way to utilize your design team to maximize their capabilities in a human-centered design approach.
- 10 + years of design experience at a product company or agency.
- 5 + years in a role where you led product designers with various experience levels.
- A strong portfolio with engaging diverse material from your past to demonstrate your philosophy on design. Additionally, we expect to hear about the work you've managed recently and be able to show your teams work or point us to where we can publically see this work.
- Demonstrate a strong level of EQ and how that applies to your team and business partners.
- We use different iterative processes like Agile but more importantly how do you structure workstreams for your team to make them successful.
- That you have worked with a design research team. How you leveraged them and demonstrate best practices while doing so.
- Demonstrate how you listen more than you speak.
- Demonstrate how you analyze, question, and conceptualize.
- Demonstrate how you make decisions, tradeoffs and utilize different design processes
- Demonstrate how you challenging assumptions and provide / receive feedback.
#LI-HN1Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.