Vanguard’sRetail division is comprised of over 6,000 crew members who serve more than seven million clients with $1.5 trillion of AUM. TheRetail division plays a key role in extending Vanguard’s core purpose, which is ‘To take a stand for allinvestors, to treat them fairly, and give them the best chance forinvestment success.’ A growing percentage of Vanguard’s existing clients and theretail marketplace are looking to Vanguard for comprehensivefinancial planning andwealth management to give them their ‘best change ofinvestment success.’ Building upon over20years as a provider of advisor services solutions, Vanguard formally launched Personal Advisor Services (PAS) in2015 to help address the rising need to provide their clients with high quality and affordable advice. Personal Advisor Services is off to a strong start, as the service is resonating with our clients. As of December2017, PAS is managing more than $100B in client assets.
Vanguard is seeking a senior leader to take on leadership of a large advisory team in our Mass Affluent and/or High Net Worth segments in our Scottsdale office. Our Scottsdale team has experienced strong growth in our advisor ranks and we need to expand the ranks of our senior leadership team. This role may be for either our Mass Affluent or High Net Worth team, or a combination of the two. This role would have approximately six advisor managers reporting to her/him, each with teams of 9-10 advisors, for a target span of approximately 60. There are currently six roles of this level of seniority across our three domestic sites. Leaders in this role are members of the extended PAS senior leadership team and have responsibility running large books of business, as well as participating in and driving the strategic direction of PAS.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages an extended team of approximately 60 leaders and advisors. Provides guidance, training and motivation as necessary to develop staff. Hires, evaluates and counsels personnel. Follows corporate disciplinary procedures per established Vanguard standards as required. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback and recommends wage increases in accordance with the applicable HR policies and procedures.
- Oversees the management and development of the combined book of business strategy for their managed clients.
- Ensures Managers and Advisors provides premier Advice to their managed books and execute on their book strategy.
- Develops and influences departmental policies and procedures to evolve Personal Advisor strategy. Works closely with other members of management to develop and implement strategic plans. Participates in the development of short and long range strategies for the department.
- Partners with key segment partners in the Retail division to define and deliver upon shared goals.
- Responds quickly to industry and internal developments. Assesses what should be communicated to the department, and does so in a timely, accurate and effective manner.
- Provides technical support to team and business in areas of financial planning. Supports Advisors and their leaders in analyzing and resolving client issues and developing solutions.
- Participates in development of business planning. Analyzes departmental statistics and prepares management reports. Understands the financial dynamics of the business forecast and proactively manages business segment and headcount appropriately.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess
- Undergraduatedegree or equivalent combination of training and experience, advanced degreepreferred.
- Minimum of eight years progressively responsible and related experience (including supervision of others).
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP License) preferred.
- Series 7, 63, 65 & 24 licenses or ability to obtain within 120 days.
- Extensive knowledge of Vanguard investment offerings.
- Strong knowledge of the competitive environment preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong leadership and personnel development skills.
- Proven ability to identify opportunities and execute solutions both strategically and tactically.
- Proven ability to develop innovative solutions to complex client situations.
- Proven ability to successfully develop strong working relationships with staff and management within Vanguard.