The Senior Manager for Payroll is responsible for directing the corporate payroll functions including payroll processing, payroll taxes, and working with senior payroll management team to develop and execute corporate payroll strategies, planning, and marketing of the payroll function and related services. Primary liaison between the Envision payroll department and the business. Ensures adequate controls exist and all federal and state wage and hour laws are followed. The Senior Payroll Manager will be the Subject Matter Expert for payroll within the organization.
- Responsible for the oversight of payroll administration and garnishments in a multi-company, multi-state environment for approximately 35,000 employees and Independent Contractors paid by the payroll team.
- Accountable for the accuracy and timeliness of payroll processing and all payroll KPI's.
- Collaborate with Senior Payroll Leadership on developing the vision for future-state process and systems, including project plans, monitoring, and reporting of process improvements.
- Assist in supporting any level of acquisition initiatives related to payroll and payroll related processes.
- Maintain and manage payroll related legal and regulatory compliance.
- Establish and maintain a strong relationship with business segment leaders, internal departments, and external vendors.
- Ensure accuracy in the processing of garnishments, child support, and IRS levies that are administered by the payroll team.
- Assist with internal audit review of controls and process compliance.
- Facilitates internal and external audit requests for payroll related data.
- Coordinates with Accounting Systems Director and HRIS team to alleviate costing issues related to pay related items.
- Assists with the development and implementation of national payroll procedure and policy change.
- Ensures accurate reporting of Envision Healthcare payroll metrics on a monthly basis.
- Works with the General Ledger team on month-end payroll costing and file transmission
- Maintain compliance with all employment laws and supports affirmative action/equal opportunity goals.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
- Mentor employees, conduct performance evaluations, counsel and provide disciplinary actions to assigned personnel, and works to facilitate individual and team development that drives positive results. Champion affirmative action efforts in all aspects of employment, including but not limited to staffing, training, promotion, etc.
- Supervise and mentor the Payroll production team and ensure duties are being performed accurately and timely
- Responsible for managing non-exempt and exempt employees
- Plan and conduct annual performance appraisals and talent assessments of staff, recommending merits, bonuses and promotions and administering corrective actions when necessary
- Bachelor's Degree from four-year College or University and eight or more years of management experience. BS/BA in Accounting or related field or equivalent experience
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification preferred
- Minimum of five years managing payroll departments within large multi-state companies
- In-depth knowledge of payroll tax processing, internal/external audits, garnishments and wage and hour requirements.
- Experience with multiple entities / companies, multiple tax jurisdictions within a multi-frequency payroll for a large number of employees
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office and ability to navigate an ERP Payroll Software
- Knowledge/experience in auditing of payroll
- Strong management knowledge with abilities to handle high-stress situations
- Ability to analyze output and propose problem-solving solutions
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work independently as well as within the team, and under time constraints to meet schedules and deadlines
- Ability to coach, develop and guide department with strong leadership skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing across all levels of the organization and 3rdparty vendors
- Analytical thinking and good math skills