Senior Manager Operations (Water / Wastewater Utility)
Manage the water and wastewater systems within an operational area, to include the production, field operations, maintenance services, health & safety, and environmental compliance ensuring cost effective, high quality customer service and operational reliability.
- Establish, maintain and continuously improve the health and safety culture within an operational area. Create an environment of accountability and implement high performance safety programs, including the provision of resources, time, equipment and training. (20%)
- Ensure that all facilities maintain operational reliability, including environmental compliance with current and future regulations. (20%)
- Implement best operating practices to promote continuous improvement, innovation and excellent customer service. Develop operations strategies and direct and manage the field operations and production for water and wastewater operations within an operational area.. Provide strategic and operational input to annual business plans, control budgets for responsible areas, and ensure that operational and financial targets are met or exceeded. (20%)
- Lead, motivate and develop staff in assigned operations areas. Build shared commitment to improving business performance, and develop both individual and team capabilities. Drive performance by linking business units' objectives to company goals and values. Communicate a shared vision, energize and empower staff, and champion diversity. (20%)
- Work with the engineering staff to develop the strategy and priorities for capital investment programs, and drive the effective implementation of such programs. (10%)
- Support the business development function in an operational area. Assist in due diligence and operational analysis, and ensure effective integration and performance of acquisitions and contract operations. Establish relationships with and serve as operational contact for political and civic leaders and other key external stakeholders. Support and assist in maintaining and enhancing such relationships state-wide. (10%)
Knowledge / Skills
- Extensive knowledge of the regulated water and/or wastewater utility business and its operations.
- Knowledge of the applicable regulations, requirements and trends impacting the water and/or wastewater business, as it exists throughout American Water locations and areas of new business opportunities.
- Knowledge of the assessment of operating practices and the establishment of best practices.
Building Effective Teams
Hiring and Staffing
Experience / Education
- Minimum of 7 yrs water and/or wastewater utility experience, with 5 years of successful direct employee management.
- Bachelor's degree in operational discipline, management or related discipline, or equivalent experience
Up to 50% throughout the state.
This job is specific to a large state or district of a large state and must have oversight for both field operations and production functions.