Senior Manager of Training and Development
Discover the Difference You Can Make at Gate Gourmet
Gate Gourmet, a gategroup company, is the world’s largest independent provider of catering and provisioning services for the airline industry. For the past 70 years, we have served over 250 carriers in more than 30 countries. Gate Gourmet combines culinary expertise with the highest standards of food safety and production to deliver delicious, healthy, and affordable meals to over 270 million travelers around the globe.
We are currently looking for a Senior Manager of Training and Development to join our Human Resources team based at our corporate headquarters in Reston, Virginia. Reporting to the Director of Human Resources and Talent Development, the Senior Manager of Training and Development Partners with the Corporate and Operations Leaders to understand business objectives and needs and identify, develop and deliver learning and development to the organization. Provide management oversight to a team of regional trainers.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports employee development and retention by delivering and managing established programs
- Manages a team of operations-based trainers, including providing coaching, supervision, performance assessments, and other general managerial duties.
- Acts as an internal consultant and designs and/or customizes programs to fit needs
- Coordinates and facilitates select training programs to employees in corporate functions and operations, as required
- Identifies performance/behavior gaps, makes recommendations, and provides solutions in order to improve business performance, increase retention and develop future leaders
- Develops independent learning activities for pre and post work associated with Leadership and Management Capabilities to ensure concepts learned during training programs are applied, including but not limited to eLearning, peer coaching and networking
- Develops tools and creates opportunities for leaders to discuss personal aspirations and conducts individual and group assessments, skills gaps and development actions
- Manages the North America engagement survey, administering the survey, compiling results, and developing solutions. Partners with external vendor on survey tool and content design.
- Prepares pragmatic and cost effective recommendations taking into consideration who (target audience), how (classroom/eLearning), when (business critical) and where (required travel) courses are delivered
- Takes ownership for each program’s implementation and success, including managing tools, systems, and associated processes.
- Develops training skills of Subject Matter Experts and assists with program/course development
- Acts as content manager for the learning management system (LMS) in North America and ensures access to material, troubleshoots, and manages course offerings
- Ensures training effectiveness and return on investment (ROI) through use of multi-level tracking and measurement systems
- Manages, coordinates, and owns the periodic performance management processes, including serving as systems administrator. Works with other regional and group corporate associates on program rollout, performance, and periodic assessments.
- Develops and manages the corporate orientation content, ensuring a consistent message to new employees. Works with regional partners on needs assessments, content, and orientation execution.
- Accomplishes human resources and organization mission by completing related work as needed
- Bachelor ‘s degree from a four year college or university required
At least 8-10 years’ experience as a training manager
Experience as a manager of people
Experience training in transportation, hospitality, manufacturing or food service environment highly desirable
Prior extensive experience working with a learning management system (LMS) required: Oracle Taleo Learn experience preferred
Experience and formal training in instructional design required
Technical Skills: (Certification, Licenses and Registration)
- Certification in DDI training delivery, desirable
Language / Communication Skills:
- Position requires experience and demonstrated competency in:
- Business partnering
- Relationship building
- Instructional design
- Time management
- Must be able to use consulting skills to identify goals and overcome obstacles and be able and willing to earn “a seat at the table”
- Experience with eLearning, computer and web-based training delivery is required
- Candidate must have strong interpersonal skills and be highly organized, action oriented and collaborative
- Must have strong computer and database application skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and demonstrated experience presenting training to groups
Geographic Responsibility: Reston, VA US
Type of Employment: Full-time
Travel %: 25%
Exemption Classification: Exempt
Internal Relationships: Employees at Reston Corporate Center and regional operations centers
External Relationships: Vendors
Work Environment / Requirements of the Job: Regular office environment; must be able to lift up to forty pounds
Budget / Revenue Responsibility: None
Direct Line Manager (Title): Director, HR & Talent Development
Dotted Line Manager (Title, if applicable): N.A.
Number of Direct Reports:3
Number of Dotted Line Reports: 0
Estimated Total Size of Team: 4 (including self)
gategroup Competencies Required to be Successful in the Job:
- Thinking – Information Search and analysis & problem resolution skills
- Engaging – Understanding others, Team Leadership and Developing People
- Inspiring – Influencing and building relationships, Motivating and Inspiring, Communicating effectively
- Achieving – Delivering business results under pressure, Championing Performance Improvement and Customer Focus
Demonstrated Values to be Successful in the Position
Employees at gategroup are expected to live our Values of Excellence, Integrity, Passion and Accountability. To demonstrate these Values, we expect to observe the following from everyone:
- We treat each other with respect and we act with integrity
- We communicate and keep each other informed
- We put our heads together to problem solve and deliver excellence as a team
- We have passion for our work and we pay attention to the little details
- We foster an environment of accountability, take responsibility for our actions and learn from our mistakes
- We do what we say we will do, when we say we are going to do it
- We care about our coworkers, always taking an opportunity to make someone’s day better
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Candidates will be required to go through Pre-employment drug screen, criminal background check, and/or airport fingerprinting.
Gategroup is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability status or other category under applicable law.