This position will lead overall day to day quality systems practices and programs as well as the quality assurance process for products made by third parties. This includes leading the implementation and on-going program management of corporate Quality Assurance policies for ingredient, packaging materials, finished products, and other related initiatives.
- Lead execution of the current quality assurance systems and procedures into one integrated process. This includes QA support to Manufacturing, Procurement, Co-manufacturers, Product Development, and Marketing as needed. This includes process control, sampling, evaluations, acceptance criteria, quality audits, quality systems review process (QSR), standard operating procedures (SOP`s), incoming ingredient inspections, etc.
- Provides effective leadership, direction and coaching to direct and indirect reports including, but not limited to, delegating, staffing, performance appraisals, promotions, salary recommendations, and terminations.
- Develop and execute quality assurance plans to ensure that high quality products are delivered to our customer all the time.
- Monitor all quality and sensory attributes that matter to our customers and develop quality index product scoring for each manufacturing source.
- Oversee plant(s) compliance to QA systems and procedures to meet required certifications, i.e. SQF, Gluten Free, Kosher, etc.
- Assure that facility(s) meets all requirements related to trademark use.
- Provide guidance and leadership to peers and management in situations where deviations have occurred or a potential risk has been identified related to food safety and/or quality attributes.
- Develop and maintain systems to assure compliance to all policies, procedures and checklist requirements including:
- Commitment, document control and records
- Raw material and finished product specifications
- Product identification trace and recall, incident management
- Quality & food safety fundamentals - Building and equipment design and construction.
- Preventive controls, food quality plans, prerequisite programs, food safety plan, etc.
- Maintain all registries as required by product specification.
- Manage finished product evaluation system and provide leadership to drive improvements in key customer/consumer quality attributes.
- Train and maintain all training records for critical QA requirements, including consumer complaints
- Document and maintain training registry for all employees at the manufacturing site(s).
- Oversee monitoring, verification, and validation activities to ensure that all products leaving the facility(s) meet safety and quality standards.
- Perform other duties or task as assigned by management.
- College degree in Food Science Food, Chemistry, Biology, Nutrition, or Food manufacturing related field. Master’s degree desirable.
- 5+ years in the food manufacturing industry especially in the QA and Food safety department. At least 2years of QA management experience including overseeing QA laboratory.
- Demonstrated leadership in the areas of food safety, plant regulatory and quality assurance.
- At least 3years facilitating food safety/quality related training events.
- Previousexperience with Safe Quality Foods or SQF Expert Practitioner is a plus.
- HACCP Certification from a nationally or internationally recognized and accredited HACCP training firm
- Thorough understanding of FDA and/or USDA inspected manufacturing facilities including experience with FDA and/or USDA rules and regulations
Knowledge and Skills:
- Must have strong organizational, leadership and communication skills
- Able to foster solid relationships, build trust and credibility quickly at all levels within the organization while achieving key operating objectives.
- Ability to analyze processes for biological, chemical, and physical hazards with a thorough understanding of the science and support behind each type of hazard and each step within a production process
- Able to work with cross functional departments within the organization
- Good problem solving and corrective action/resolution skills
- Strong computer skills with experienceusing Word, Excel, Access, Power Point.
- A passionate, high-energy leader who can motivate the team and influence others to achieve results.
- Consumer complaint investigation and resolution