Evans Food Group is an industry-leading snack food manufacturer headquartered near the historic Stockyards Gate in Chicago, and operating additional plants across the US and in Mexico. Acquired by private label firm Wind Point Partners and management in 2016, we seek to drive growth and profitability over the next 3-5 years, through both internal expansion and acquisitions.
Reporting to the Vice President of Global Operations, the Senior Manager of Engineering & Maintenance leads a team of engineering and maintenance colleagues in the manufacturing environment, including, but not limited to: utilities, corrective and preventive maintenances activities, troubleshooting, contractors, reliability program, storeroom operations, critical spares, work management, capital projects, facilities, etc.
Demonstrates personal leadership, initiative, judgment and accountability in day-to-day work activities in addition to exhibiting strong planning/organizational skills. Must possess strong communication skills and demonstrate integrity and cooperation in working with diverse colleagues/groups.
This role will lead and oversee several engineering and maintenance functions in compliance with GMP requirements and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
The essential duties for this position include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for the direct supervision, performance, training, counseling and development of maintenance and engineering staff (Team Leaders, Engineers, Technicians, etc.) who have managerial / team leader responsibilities.
- Oversees the maintenance and reliability programs, engineering, utilities operations and capital plan.
- Responsible for effective leadership of assigned functions and performing as a member of the Leadership Team.
- Support Maintenance Team Leaders and Plant Engineers to develop and implement global reliability programs, strategies, plans and tools at the site level.
- The role will be expected to work with other team members in the execution of new business or any potential technical transfers or related projects. This will include providing technical oversight for these initiatives, supporting the site strategy and ensuring the entire engineering and maintenance department is fully aligned with companywide and individual plant goals.
- Provides support, coaching and guidance to Maintenance Team members.
- Takes a tactical role on investigations and improvements partnering with operations, quality, supply, production and other functions.
- Establishes short-term performance goals, monitors results and makes timely adjustments to achieve delivery objectives. Make his/her team accountable of the overall engineering and maintenance department performance and behaviors.
- Assures staff compliance with all procedures, current Good Manufacturing Practice regulations, and safety rules.
- Oversees the development and maintenance of a safe manufacturing environment by fostering compliance with regulatory, plant and corporate policies. Assures that appropriate corrective actions are taken to eliminate hazardous conditions.
- Oversees the planning, implementation, and documentation of projects that are intended to increase profitability, safety, or compliance, leading the group of Project managers to ensure the site capital plan execution on time and quality, based on site's priorities.
- Helps to prepare, monitor and control site budget based on volume capacity, head count, and expenses.
- Oversee the validation of equipment and critical systems to assure that the facility is maintained in a state of control with current regulations.
- Promotes and emphasizes to all plant personnel, adherence to safety practices and industry regulations. Considers impact of EPA, OSHA, USDA & FDA on daily operations as well as proposed projects.
- Assures short and long-range coordination of activities with emphasis on efficient utilization of manpower and resources.
- Fosters a team atmosphere by encouraging employee suggestions and ideas for improvement, ensuring integration of the technicians' workforce in investigations, projects, decision making, proposals, etc.
- Will work collaboratively with operations, quality, supply and production to ensure manufacture of world class product.
- Leadership skills required: will require the ability to coach and mentor this role's direct reports for professional growth. The main leadership responsibilities will require excellent influential leadership abilities in order to get results from cross functional team members.
- Provide solutions to a wide range of difficult/complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity, innovation, and creativity. May refer to precedents and policies. Able to gather, analyze and interpret information and identify cause and effect relationships. Solutions are imaginative, practical, thorough, and in line with organization objectives. Able to adapt and respond positively to situations and people in order to meet changing work unit priorities. Operates within established HR policies and basic colleague relations guidelines.
Education: Requires Engineering Degree and 10+ years of relevant food manufacturing/engineering experience
- Expertise in maintenance practices and processes. Knowledge and understanding in reliability based maintenance concepts, and predictive technologies, utilities management and project management.
- Minimum of ten years' experience in facilities and equipment.
- Knowledge of GMP, OSHA, USDA and FDA regulations applicable to the industry.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills. Excellent customer, stakeholder & OEM relationship management.
- Previous leadership experiencerequired with strong leadership and influencing capabilities at all levels of the organization.
- Proven problem solving and project management skills. Independent thinker with strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Candidate must possess flexibility to respond to constantly changing conditions and priorities.
- Strong personal motivation and aptitude for coaching, leading and managing individuals and teams.
- An aptitude for understanding process technology and equipment.
- Knowledge of packaging operations and systems.
Have the technical ability to learn and direct maintenance and engineering processes, evaluate and understand problems, devise a technical solution and implement that solution via staff and procedural means.