As a company that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this opportunity. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, anti-racism training, and bias prevention initiatives, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What you'll do:
- Lead data engineering team, providing mentorship, coaching, and regular feedback.
- Identify and provide team members with growth opportunities that align with their career goals.
- Ensuring on time delivery of projects and other team’s commitments.
- Initiate, influence, and drive different types of data initiatives by working with cross-functional teams throughout the organization.
- Partner with stakeholders to help develop and continuously refine the long and short-term roadmap
- Influence design documentation, participate in code reviews and provide valuable and actionable feedback to peers
- Make substantial code contributions to different components of data pipelines and integrations
Who you are:
- Minimum 3 years of managing data engineering team
- Experience in mentoring, coaching team members
- Experience in communicating with business stakeholders
- Minimum 5 years of professional software development experience
- Minimum 4 years experience building data pipelines using Python
- Minimum 4 years experience with distributed data storage systems/formats & data stores such as Snowflake, Redshift or other Big data systems
- Minimum 2 years experience in building Kafka based pipelines to stream messages with good exposure to handling failure scenarios
- In-depth understanding of relational databases, including SQL
- Experience working and processing large datasets, and techniques for working with data in volume effectively
- Experience working with batch processing/real-time systems using various open source technologies like Spark, MapReduce, NoSQL, Hive, etc.
- SQL knowledge is required
- Linux/Unix experience preferred
- Experience with Java or Scala is a nice to have
- Experience with Airflow is nice to have
- Have worked with a major cloud provider such as AWS or Azure
- Exposure to Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment & Test Driven Development preferred
- Team player with a “no task is too small” attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but that’s a given!)
- You can show proof of COVID-19 vaccination & adherence to HQ COVID office policies using Bindle, a secure platform that verifies vaccination status without sharing private health information, within 30 days of hire