The Senior Manager is primarily responsible for providing support to our corporate associates with workflow and career development at Fenwick. This individual will play an active role in the development and implementation of key practice group initiatives and play an integral role in the retention and development of our associates. We are looking for someone who is collaborative, enjoys being part of a team and will excel working closely with our associates in helping them achieve their professional goals. This position can be based in any of our offices.Job Description:
Attorney Development and Workload Support
- Serve as a knowledgeable and trusted resource to associates of on-the-ground practice activity levels and associate bandwidth.
- Manage work allocation and utilization within the free-market workflow system.
- Support partners and associates navigating the free-market workflow system and assist with staffing matters as needed.
- Evaluate practice group needs on an ongoing basis, identify gaps in associate resources and support recruiting team efforts.
- Collaborate with our diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) experts and practice group leaders to further the firm’s and our practice groups’ DEI goals through work allocation and opportunities.
- Manage orientation and integration support for lateral associates and junior associates.
- Serve as a first point of contact for associates on workflow and time management.
- Work with partners and Legal Training teams to plan and conduct formal training programs for attorneys.
- Work with the Legal Personnel team to support the evaluation and associate development process.
Management and Reporting
- Partner with peer departments (Business Development, Legal Personnel, Recruiting, Finance, Knowledge Management etc.) on various strategic practice group projects, including implementing process improvements to increase efficiencies across practice and firm operations.
- Collaborate with Practice Management colleagues to develop practice group business strategies; oversee execution of and progress on practice group strategic initiatives; ensure that practice initiatives are in line with the firm’s goals and objectives of the strategic plan and the firm strategic plan.
- Develop substantive agendas and presentations for practice group, subgroup meetings and other industry meetings.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Sound judgment and extreme discretion with respect to confidential and sensitive information.
- Strong emotional intelligence and ability to influence and guide others in a fast-paced client service industry.
- Awareness and understanding of business process improvement processes and best practices.
- Strong interpersonal skills, service mentality and ability to build relationships.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong data analytics skills to assess a range of metrics and presents data in an effective manner for senior leaders.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements.
- Ability to provide quality and efficient client service to both internal and external clients.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint and the ability to quickly learn and utilize additional software.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Practice Management, the qualified candidate will have 5+ years of law firm or other professional services experience preferred. Experience in a law firm environment and practice management/staffing support a plus. Bachelor’s degree required. JD or MBA preferred.