Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 8,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
PSI seeks applicants for the position of Senior Manager, New Business Development (NBD) to help direct PSI’s activities in developing new business worldwide with foundations, bilateral and multilateral donors. PSI’s NBD Department offers assistance to field-based programs when responding to the US government, DFID, KFW, Global Fund, corporate, foundation, and other donor requests for proposals. The Department also builds the capacity of PSI country platforms to prepare proposals. The Senior New Business Development Manager will be based in Washington, D.C., with approximately 15% overseas travel, and report to the Deputy Director or Director of Business Development.
Sound like you? Read on!
The Senior New Business Development Manager is a demanding, challenging and exciting role, requiring a dynamic individual with highly developed interpersonal and communication skills, excellent writing skills, a sharp focus on details and demonstrated experience leading teams in complex processes. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supervises a member of the NBD team and supports efforts to build the capacity of the NBD team.
- Assist the NBD Director to ensure quality of proposals both in terms of writing, donor responsiveness and strategy (in coordination with technical teams), including through proposal reviews.
- Manage all aspects of proposal development, with a focus on larger proposals, by leading a team comprised of field and headquarters staff to conduct capture planning, program design, and proposal writing; this includes establishing and enforcing timelines, designating roles and responsibilities, identifying and negotiating with partner organizations, coordinating inputs, and overseeing proposal submission
- Serve as lead writer on strategically important bids, including facilitating strategy discussions, drafting the narrative (including executive summary, technical approach, staffing and management, monitoring and evaluation, organizational capabilities, etc.) and incorporating reviewer feedback
- Assist the NBD Director to ensure corporate best practices are understood by the department and included in proposals
- Traveling to provide technical assistance to the field programs as needed for proposal development/capacity building
- Develop relationships and negotiate teaming agreements with partner organizations to bid on proposals
- Coordinating efforts between PSI and partner organizations on specific proposals
- Expanding the capabilities of PSI staff to participate in technical and cost proposals and other business development efforts through mentoring and direct training
- Support the deputy director in regular updating and refining NBD standard operating procedures
- Collaborating with senior management to identify and strategize on new business opportunities
- Managing relationships for a portfolio of donors (which may include proposal writing, report writing, ongoing communications and meetings, etc.)
- Contributing to the continuous improvement of PSI’s systems for identifying, tracking, and pursuing new business opportunities, developing proposals and budgets, and managing institutional knowledge
- Liaising with PSI regional staff regarding upcoming proposal opportunities and other business development needs.
- Supports and in some cases leads on staff recruiting efforts
What are we looking for?
- Relevant Master’s degree (MBA, MPA, MPH, etc.)
- 7+ years of experience related to international development (international health preferred)
- Excellent diplomatic, negotiating and interpersonal communication capability
- Outstanding English writing skills required; all applicants must undergo a writing evaluation
- 3 years of demonstrated NBD experience with a variety of donors strongly preferred
- Demonstrated successful experience in writing award-winning proposals and experience with full-cycle bid coordination
- Exceptional problem-solving skills;
- Self-starter, able to achieve results with limited supervision;
- Developing country work experience and foreign language skills (esp. Spanish, French, and Portuguese) strongly preferred. French speakers strongly encouraged to apply.