Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds
PSI seeks applicants for the position of Senior Manager, New Business Development & Marketing to help direct PSI’s activities in developing new business worldwide with foundations, bilateral and multilateral donors. PSI’s NBD Department offers assistance to field-based programs when responding to the US government, DFID, KFW, Global Fund, corporate, foundation, and other donor requests for proposals. The Department has annual fundraising goals typically in excess of $500 million. NBD also provides additional fundraising support to PSI country platforms facing funding shortfalls and increasingly will support fundraising for new health areas. The department also builds the capacity of PSI’s country platforms to prepare proposals. PSI’s Marketing Department supports the total health market (private, civil society, and public) to make markets work for the poor.
We are looking for a senior manager to help us with proposal development. The Senior Manager, New Business Development & Marketing is a demanding, challenging and exciting role, requiring a dynamic individual with highly developed interpersonal and communication skills, excellent writing skills, a sharp focus on details, and demonstrated experience leading teams in complex processes. This position will also work closely with the Global Market Department team to establish market development and marketing best practices within NBD processes and proposals. In addition the senior manager will assist the marketing team in developing and rolling out the Keystone Design Framework, PSI’s design process for ensuring that marketing principles are infused within our health programming
Sound like you? Read on.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Managing all aspects of proposal development by working with field and headquarters staff on program design, proposal writing and (on occasion) cost proposal development
- Traveling to provide technical assistance to the field programs as needed for proposal development/capacity building, as well as marketing discipline
- Coordinating efforts between PSI and partner organizations on specific proposals
- Expanding the capabilities of PSI staff to participate in technical and cost proposals and other business development efforts through mentoring and direct training
- Facilitating NBD design processes in line with the Keystone Design Framework, PSI’s program design process.
- Collaborating with senior management to identify and strategize on new business opportunities
- Managing relationships for a portfolio of private donors (which may include proposal writing, report writing, ongoing communications and meetings, etc.)
- Contributing to the continuous improvement of PSI’s systems for identifying, tracking, and pursuing new business opportunities, developing proposals and budgets, and managing institutional knowledge
- Liaising with PSI regional staff regarding upcoming proposal opportunities and other business development needs.
- Providing technical leadership in the application of marketing discipline to new business development (including SBC design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation, as well as PSI’s market development approach)
- Supporting the application of PSI’s market development and SBC approaches across a range of country and regional programs (liaising closely with PSI’s marketing team to ensure aligned approaches across PSI)
What are we looking for?
- Relevant Master’s degree (MBA, MPA, MPH, etc) or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience related to international development (international health preferred)
- Excellent diplomatic, negotiating and interpersonal communication capability
- Outstanding English writing skills required; all applicants must undergo a writing evaluation
- 3 years of demonstrated NBD experience with a variety of donors strongly preferred
- 3 years of demonstrated marketing experience
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated experience with theories of change and logic models
- Self-starter, able to achieve results with limited supervision;
- Developing country work experience and foreign language skills (esp. Spanish, French, and Portuguese) strongly preferred. French speakers strongly encouraged to apply