Job Description Summary:
The Senior Manager, Journal Publications is the product owner for Research publications including the Financial Analysts Journal, CFA Digest, and the Enterprising Investor blog. The position is responsible for the tactical execution of these products working with product developers and designers to manage and deliver research products that meet the needs of key internal audiences and industry stakeholders, including: CFA Institute members, CFA societies, firms, universities, and other institutions.
The Senior Manager, Journal Publications, will be responsible for defining, delivering and managing products features that are both valuable and useful to these audiences and stakeholders, as well as serving as an advocate for Research with product management colleagues across the organization to effectively manage the Research experience in their products (e.g. Members App, Sitecore, etc.), and externally, in the case of the Financial Analysts Journal, on the Taylor & Francis platform. The TBC, Journal Publications will oversee the successful execution of all elements in the product life cycle including gathering appropriate feedback for new features and prototypes.
The role will be based in Charlottesville or New York and will report to the Head, Journal Publications.Job Description:
- Maintain and grow a deep knowledge of our research products, the business and how stakeholders interact with our products.
- Evaluate consultant and vendor relationships and manage existing 3rd parties within the context of these products.
- Work closely with other areas of the organization to understand user needs, identify dependencies across other technology plans and platforms, and incorporate into product design and function.
- Create internal/external stakeholder input, feedback and satisfaction mechanisms.
- Develop and manage the product roadmap for product line; define and prioritize product features among other business products; and align product improvements to support vision, goals and opportunities. Acts as a relationship manager for the products with internal business units.
- Responsible for developing change management plans and processes in collaboration with Services Delivery and other internal teams, as appropriate
- Primary liaison with technology delivery team. Serve as senior liaison to technology (IT) to ensure solutions meet product goals. Participate in both tactical and strategic meetings with developers, designers, and functional business owners to drive the launch and ongoing development of product.
- Develop strong product goals and KPIs. Establish, monitor and manage product performance and metrics; identify and drive improvement opportunities.
- Be an advocate for your product line; articulate the customer and business value to all levels of the organization – senior leadership particularly. Develop compelling presentations and prototypes to communicate product vision.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with Industry Research Heads in support of the wider activities of CFA Institute's global research.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree or related or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 3 years' experience as a product owner or product manager or similar role, with the skills necessary to understand customer needs and translate them into product features and user stories, and to work with development and delivery teams to ensure that products are delivered to meet customer needs
- Sufficient technology experience to identify if, when, and how a digital product can service as a viable solution for the client as well as work intelligently with the technical team to translate product needs into technical development specifications
- Experience in launching global products in a multinational environment preferred
- Team player who always puts the customer first
- Attention to detail and commitment to quality
- Excellent consulting, problem solving, and analytical skills; ability to identify trends and propose solutions
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal, listening, and presentation skills, confident and comfortable working amongst a team of peers.
- Experience in project management and experience working in an Agile technology environment
- Must demonstrate outstanding judgement and mature business kills with the ability to establish a strong rapport with senior management
- Travel will be less than 10% percent of the time. Occasional global travel may be required
- Strategic – Connects ideas, resources and processes, with an outside-in perspective, to define winning solutions; employs a broad, global perspective and digital mindset to disrupt and transform
- Courageous -- Actively listens, asks questions, develops an independent conclusion and is willing to challenge the popular view for the betterment of the organization
- Authentic -- Reflects one's true self in all situations; clearly says what they mean and does what they say they will do
- Talent magnet -- Understands a candidate/employee's capabilities and matches those to the appropriate role/assignment; seeks out diversity of thought and experience; invests in development; mentors and coaches for success; builds and rewards high functioning teams
- Growth mindset -- Learns and grows through experimentation and failure; embraces challenges with persistence and resilience; demonstrates a willingness to risk failure and sees it as a key learning opportunity
- Accountable -- Understands role and takes full ownership of their own, their team's, and the organization's success or failure; achieves efficient, timely, quality results through the effective leadership of others
- Agile – Navigates complexity, challenges and ambiguity with confidence; creates an environment of learning to drive optimal outcomes; employs a continuous improvement mindset; encourages rapid, flexible response to change.