With minimal direction, provide management for areas of responsibility, setting the direction for operations and change-the-business across technical functional areas or lines of business.
Is responsible for knowledge of disparate technology for strategic use throughout the enterprise, possibly including one or more of the following functions: software engineering, platform system development, information security, enterprise architecture, and/or infrastructure (including data center, network, and telephony).
Provide a platform for continuous improvement and transformation to better meet GTS and business needs.
- Provide direction to the team as required
- Inform others of high-level technical impediments spanning across technology areas, businesses or technology crises; provide updates, and progress in relationship to timelines or SLAs, partnering and building a relationship with key stakeholders for planning and execution
- Consistently meet deliverables' target date or within expected timeframe
- Provide technology functional planning in support of GTS and VSP Global direction and overlaying strategies for technical infrastructure, architecture, application systems and/or related business processes within technical functional area, and ensure proper functioning, and cohesive implementation
- Direct technical daily, quarterly and annual planning for group
- Engage Team and Peers in opportunity identification to further enhance/deliver technology to the GTS vision, and VSP Global businesses
- Drive and adopt functional change within technology group and adjacent areas through smaller incremental and step changes
- Engage in reactive and proactive issue identification, problem solving and action extending beyond the team
- Active participant in determining or developing best practices for technology functional areas, and technology within the overarching function, possibly including but not limited to: software engineering, platform system development, information security, enterprise architecture, and/or infrastructure (including data center, network, and telephony)
- Identify operational and strategic risks; mitigate identified risks
- Remain current on new technology and methods to ensure state of the art and cost effective solutions to business processes
- Coordinate training to ensure all departmental staff have appropriate skill-sets and receive appropriate information/instruction
- Lead the process of interviewing and hiring for open positions within the unit ensuring that the most qualified candidates are selected
- Assure effective communications are maintained across technical functional areas; where appropriate involve employees in plans, and keep up to date on progress towards meeting goals
- Prepare KJAs for direct reports that tie to their job descriptions and goals. Monitor performance of direct reports in meeting their KJAs; provide prompt and objective coaching in accomplishing goals and in job performance, and recommend salary increases
- Participate in the development of the department’s budget; monitor expenses to ensure department costs are within established levels
- Monitor turnover, productivity and overall performance to ensure adequate staffing and performance that meet functional area standards and VSP’s needs
Typically has the following skills or abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Business Administration or related field
- Twelve years of leadership experience
- Demonstrated knowledge across multiple technology functions
- Strong leadership skills
- In depth knowledge for primary technology area
- Strong demonstrated people skills, and technical visionary skills
- Prefer experience managing multiple technology functions
- Ability to regularly exercise discretion and independent judgment in the performance of his/her job duties
- Incident management
- Problem management
- Change management
- Request management
- Configuration management
- Experience with ITaaS frameworks, including service strategy, design and operations required.
- Familiarity with ServiceNOW, Performance Assurance and Service Watch highly desirable.
- Governance of the ITSM and ITaaS frameworks are essential skills
- SLA reporting, metrics and continuous improvement are skill that are vital to this role
- Experience interfacing with CxO level executives and senior level leaders important, but not a firm requirement
- Process automation and or LeanSix Sigma background a plus
- Experience working with IT infrastructure groups, including data centers, servers, networking, end-user computing a necessity