Join us for a career with endless possibilities.
Looking for a job where a passion for innovation, a culture of teamwork, and opportunities for growth are valued and rewarded? You’ve come to the right place.
You don’t have to be an airline aficionado to join American Airlines. It takes more than cool planes to keep us ahead of the curve, and thanks to our team of behind the scenes professionals, we do just that. As the largest airline in the world, American Airlines is in the business of serving the global travel needs of our customers. At the core of the Company is our commitment to each customer and each employee. We are dedicated to developing and delivering what our customers value and are willing to pay for. Customer-centric planning, innovative marketing, and an exceptional customer experience are supported by a cadre of talented people.
What does it take to join us? We’re glad you asked! We expect exceptional skills in your discipline and a dedication to being the best as we relentlessly pursue our goal of being not just the largest airline in the world, but also the best airline in the world.
Fortunately, we’re building on almost a century of innovation and firsts in our industry – and we plan to continue that tradition of excellence.
About The Job
This job is a member of the Information Technology Team, within the Information Technology Division. The Senior Manager, IT Operations will support the leaders of the cross-platform services team who build, deploy, run, and maintain the American Airlines telecom environment, build relationships with leaders across the Enterprise Technology Services organization, and interface with customers to prioritize work and support projects. Additionally, the Senior Manager, IT Operations will be working with other vertical infrastructure teams to provide support for new workloads.
The Cross-Platform Service Delivery team provides 2nd level support on all cross-platform services, as well as executes project work in support of a variety of projects. The technology includes SQL & Oracle Data Base Operations, Enterprise File Transfer, and Identity Management.
Specifically, you’ll do the following:
- Prioritize break/fix activities
- Lead, train and mentor IT Operations staff members; including technical support for operation issues
- Maintain and protect the AA environment stability
- Oversee activities of IT Operations team staff to detect issues or failures, resolve where possible, or escalate issues to the appropriate Information Technology groups
- Work closely with other groups within Enterprise Technology Services to adopt best practices, improved toolsets, and seamless operation.
- Partner with Engineering to develop strategy for improving operations management
- Participate in 7 X 24 on-call rotation as necessary
- Contribute to the planning and deployment of project activities
- Participate in technology proof-of-concept activities and provide input on technologies, processes and infrastructure
- Monitor and maintain integrity of established American Airlines security policies, practices and procedures
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Support project activities
- Available to work holidays, be on-call, and travel, as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Technology, Information Systems (CIS/MIS), Engineering or related technical discipline, or equivalent experience/training
- 10 years of information technologyexperience
- 5 years of experience in a leadership position
- 5 years of experience in an IT Operations Telecom environment
- Proven ability to build, cultivate, and promote strong relationships with internal customers at all levels of the organization, as well as with IT counterparts, business partners, and external groups
- Ability to lead teams, work cross-functionally, build consensus on difficult issues, and work in a collaborative environment with geographically dispersed resources
- Proficiency in handling operational issues effectively and understanding escalation, communication, and crisis management
- Strong understanding and practice of Agile Project Management methodologies, as well as ability to lead teams to perform and evolve Agile methodology expertise
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility and ability to adapt to changing priorities and work environments
- Proven ability to establish and manage short term goals and long term strategies
- Understanding of technical problems and solutions in relation to the current environment
- Proficient situational analysis and problem solving skills
- Strong presentation and analytical skills, and possess a strong desire to work in a fast-paced environment
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Technology, Information Systems (CIS/MIS), Engineering or related technical discipline, or equivalent experience/training
- 8+ years of experience leading high performing technology team members
- Airline Industry experience
- Help Desk/Call Center experience
- Ability to explain technical concepts and adjust messaging based on the audience, including non-technical groups
- Ability to influence through outstanding interpersonal skills, collaboration, and negotiation skills
- Ability to work well within a team environment, as well as independently