The position of Capacity Manager is within the Business Solutions and Services (BSS) division of Abbott Information Technology. BSS is responsible for the planning, delivery, implementation, and ongoing support for all Abbott IT systems and application services.
Management of organizational capacity and delivery capability is critical for BSS in order for the organization to achieve its desired service levels and meet customer demand. The Capacity Manager role will ensure that the required IT capacity is provided in the right volume, at the right price, while meeting performance and availability requirements.
The Capacity Manager will provide a critical service for BSS IT operations. Understanding of IT demand coupled with capacity management and utilization will help Abbott IT to effectively manage key 3rd party IT providers, achieve optimal usage of resources (labor, spend, etc.), and ultimately deliver projects on-time and within specified budget constraints.
Additionally, this position will be responsible for managing and tracking IT spend pools (allocations of capacity available for specific business function IT requests), reporting of capacity utilization (LBE vs actual), providing process improvements for streamlining IT delivery, supplier management/oversight/escalation, resolving IT throughput constraints/barriers, and aligning IT forecasts to project demand.
The Capacity Manager will be required to coordinate and lead activities across multiple levels and functions within Abbott. Includes both IT and business stakeholders across all of Abbott’s operating divisions. The Capacity Manager will be required to develop reports, status, and content for presentation to operational staff as well as management and executive level recipients. Information must be provided in timely fashion with a high degree of accuracy.
This position will require oversight for Abbott’s entire IT portfolio, including IT projects and corresponding budgets ranging from those small scope to extremely large enterprise IT initiatives (i.e. >$5 Million).
Management and tracking of overall IT capacity, include IT spend pools:
§ Execute the process to control contractually mandated pools of resources and units available for use to complete IT projects. The process includes the authorization of resource use, monitoring usage, forecasting future requirements and maintenance of appropriate records.
§ Develop capacity models for BSS employees, other 3rd party providers, Infrastructure services, and Software Quality Assurance.
§ Monitor IT capacity against all work categories: Keep the lights on maintenance, minor/major enhancements, and large IT projects.
§ Assist with IT project prioritization and reconcile against available capacity.
§ Conduct annual reviews of capacity pools and adjust as necessary to support business volume and demand.
§ Develop and manage capacity models based on both divisional thresholds (by work category) as well as functional business domains (also by work category)
Capacity Utilization: Measurement, Monitoring, Reporting
§ Oversee delivery of standard reports to track/monitor BSS capacity utilization, including:
§ Deviation of approved portfolio value to target
§ % Projects delivered within budget and on-time
§ Planned / un-planned projects: portfolio activities and actuals
§ % Projects meeting pre and post implementation goals
§ Divisional and Functional Domain capacity utilization
§ BSS Capacity utilization by role
§ Analyze and identify capacity shortfalls or surpluses
§ Report utilization at regular intervals across multiple stakeholder groups (BSS, divisions, etc.)
§ Identify opportunities for process improvements within the BSS delivery cycle, Work Intake cycle, and overall capacity management
Division Showback: Measurement, Reporting
§ Analyze and identify division IT costs relating to Division Specific Platforms, Shared or Enterprise Systems and M&A Support.
§ Report Division Showback across multiple stakeholder groups (BSS, divisions, etc.) to support planning process
§ Manages key suppliers and fosters working relationships to facilitate BSS delivery processes and overall Capacity management.
§ Provide and review IT work demands with key providers, including rolling LBEs and forecasts.
§ Review / Monitor usage of provider capacity and resources. Manage / escalate delivery issues.
Maximize IT Delivery Throughput
§ Ensure that work intake processes are optimal and that requests are moving according to defined service levels and expectations.
§ Provides visibility to overall IT delivery throughput, key issues, and mitigation plans.
§ Aligns provider contractobligations to capacity, demand, and delivered projects.
§ Create vision, clear direction and strategy for teams and stakeholders.
§ Attract, motivate, develop and retain highly skilled workforce team members.
§ Constantly monitor and improve team efficiency, effectiveness and impact.
§ Lead and enable enterprise-wide thinking and the Abbott IT operating model.
§ Create an environment that encourages cooperation, open communication and teamwork.
§ Serve as a role model by demonstrating a commitment to business priorities and high performance.
Required skills and experience
- > 10 years IT experienceworking within a large / complex IT organization. Experience supporting multiple business functions / organizations.
- Experience managing 3rd party suppliers.
- Project management experience including management of large and complex projects with significant budget responsibility (> $1 Million).
- Strong analytical skills, including demonstrated proficiency in tools such as Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Project.
- Ability to accomplish results through others, particularly by establishing relationships, effective controls and monitoring processes.
- Proven negotiation and influencing skills.
- Strong collaboration and partnering skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to articulate complex ideas in easy to understand business terms to senior leaders.
- Proven ability to design and optimize processes. An understanding of process costs, ability to work with 3rd party providers and all stakeholders to improve cycle times.
- Demonstrated ability to assess customer/client needs, creatively approach solutions, decide and influence appropriate courses of action.
- Experience of indirect management – managing by influence as opposed to positional authority
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic and changing environment.
- Strong understanding of the all phases of software development life cycle and software development methodologies.
- Ability to work within a diverse, performance based team environment.
- Proven leadership skills, including the ability to lead meetings and communicate course of action.