The Senior Manager, International Pensions & Asset Management will focus on overseeing and implementing key strategic, product, asset management, and business intelligence initiatives in International Pensions & Asset Management units.
The incumbent is responsible for working together with the Director of International Pensions & Asset Management and Pension and Asset Management company executives in the overall investment product shelf strategic direction, asset management function, operational synergies, and business intelligence
The Senior Manager, International Pensions & Asset Management, is responsible for working with the Director of International Pensions & Asset Management to manage a multi-dimensional range of aspects relating to International Pensions & Asset Management operations.
These activities can be grouped into 5 types: product development & management, asset management function, operational synergies, business & industry intelligence, and special projects.
1. Product Development & Management
- Working with the product development team in country and head office to developing detailed business plans for execution, and overall product strategy plans that are aligned with International Pensions & Asset Management vision and local market needs;
- Supporting the implementation of initiatives related to product launches, terminations & mergers, portfolio management sub-advisory agreements, and distribution of mutual funds in new jurisdictions;
- Participating in portfolio manager selection and oversight, including review of due diligence documentation and provide recommendations and feedback;
- Supporting International Pensions & Asset Management Product Committee by coordinating committee meetings with in-country product managers and head office, distributing documentation, and taking minutes at meetings among otherresponsibilities.
2. Asset Management Function
- Supporting the exchange of best practices among Scotiabank’s pension and asset management companies in relation to investment processes and controls, including providing recommendations on investment policies and processes;
- Participating in the investment committees of pension and asset management companies;
- Supporting the quarterly Investment Performance Evaluation and semi-annual Asset Review of the international asset management units.
3. Operational Synergies.
- Liaising between International Banking and/or Canadian Wealth Management and Pension & Asset Management units to monitor, track and implement operational efficiencies in fund operations, custody, or asset management functions.
4. Business Intelligence
- Compiling and maintaining informational documents that describe the International Pensions & Asset Management unit and highlight the current situation and opportunities for long-term growth;
- Updating and maintaining relevant databases of current market, product, and assets information for reporting, planning and decision making purposes;
- Preparing and compiling strategy and business overview presentations for business units' interactions with Senior Management and quarterly board meetings;
- Preparing Pensions & Asset Management specific overview presentations and updates to be used in external communication (e.g. Investor Days, quarterly updates) and strategy meetings (e.g. 3-year strategy planning, IB Operating Model, etc.);
- Compiling and reviewing industry reports, trends, regulatory, political and financial issues;
- Working with the Director International Pensions & Asset Management on preparing recommendations for senior management by addressing relevant issues including, but not limited to, commission fees, AUM growth, industry trends, client growth targets, pending regulatory reforms, etc., based on researched findings and analysis.
5. Special Projects
- Conducting research on current and potential markets in which Scotiabank could acquire private pension companies or asset management businesses;
- Preparing strategy presentations for potential acquisitions and maintaining oversight of the execution of M&A strategies in International Pensions & Asset Management units;
- Preparing post-acquisition strategic reviews and informational documents;
- Organizing, coordinating and participating in special events e.g. Pension and Asset companies' CEOs visit to Toronto, Town Halls, etc.
- Strong business writing and public speaking skills with past experience in preparing and presenting to senior management;
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills;
- Experience managing multi-dimensional projects from concept to completion within a matrix environment across different cultures;
- Ability to function in a team environment;
- Self-driven, results-oriented and an ability to work under pressure;
- Excellent relationship building and negotiation skills to build and maintain strong supportive relationships with stakeholders across the organization;
- Strong planning, time management and organizational skills; ability to multi-task across many projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines.
- University degree in Finance, Business, Economics, or related discipline – CFA charter holder or candidate, MBA;
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience in the financial services industry, preferably in the mutual fund and /or pension fund industry;
- Experience working with different cultures with a focus on emerging markets;
- Fully bilingual English/Spanish is required.
Requisition ID: 20299