Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10+ billion of total assets. (APUC) delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects, organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty Utilities) provides rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 750,000+ customers in the United States. The transmission business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
The generation business group (Liberty Power, formerly known as Algonquin Power) owns a portfolio of regulated and long term contracted North American based wind, solar, hydroelectric and thermal powered generating facilities representing more than 1.5+ GW of installed capacity.
Our vision is to be the utility company most admired by customers, communities and investors for our people, passion and performance.
Mandate: This position is responsible for the performance and results of Internal Audit's contribution to the organization within the Eastern Region of Liberty Utilities. This position will contribute to the development of the department's strategy and annual audit plan, as well as, be responsible for the management of their successful implementation and execution. In executing these responsibilities, this position will have administrative and technical responsibility for internal audit professionals at primarily the senior internal auditor level.
• Annual risk based audit planning and ongoing monitoring of internal audit resource allocation/utilization
• Oversight of program quality assurance including working paper, conclusion, and recommendation review
• Development and implementation of testing strategy and program improvements
• Engagement Audit Plan/Test plan development and execution of complex/highly technical areas
• Possess knowledge of internal control systems and auditing concepts, techniques and principles
• Continuous education to maintain subject matter expertise on the requirements of Internal Audit, SOX, and accounting. Incorporation of updates/changes into program
• Counsel/influence management and provide recommendations to improve risk management through effectiveness of process and internal controls
• Prepare and present regular reports on program planning, status and issues
• Liaise/coordinate with external auditors to ensure maximum reliance on internal audit control testing
• Actively build relationships with business management and educate on the value of internal audit
• Proactive communication of internal audit SOX activities and plans to business management and external auditors (as applicable)
• Client centric focus to stakeholder issue resolution/inquiries
• Active/lead role in the coaching and development of internal audit professional staff
• Foster an environment of excellence and teamwork where employees are disciplined in processes and work collaborately towards the achievement of personal, departmental and business goals and initiatives.
• Lead employee engagement initiatives
• Actively participate in the identification and execution of process improvement/best practice initiatives
• Promote continuous professional and technical development
• Periodic assistance with preparation of presentation materials and assistance in facilitating internal audit activities to Senior Management and the Regional Board of Directors
• Accounting and/or audit designation (CPA, CIA, CISA)
• Relevant undergraduate degree
• 7+ years of experience in internal audit, IT audit, risk management and/or governance areas
• Superior listening, oral and written communication skills
• Proven ability to build internal client relationships and promote the internal audit function within an organization
• Demonstrated problem solving, critical thinking and logical structuring skills
• Strong multi-tasking and time management skills
• Robust understanding of SOX, U.S. GAAP and internal auditing standards
• Working knowledge of TeamMate audit management software considered an asset
• Effective leadership and people management skills
• Ability to travel primarily within eastern United States