Senior Manager, Indirect Tax
11 - 15 years experience •
The purpose of this position is to lead and manage a team that advises and supports the business with regard to indirect tax laws in the US federal, state, and local jurisdictions in which the company operates, and ensures compliance with the reporting and tax return filing rules in such jurisdictions. The position offers an opportunity to become an integral part of the Global Tax Department management team in a role that is highly visible throughout the company.
Renewable Energy Group (REG) is a leading provider of cleaner, lower carbon intensity products and services. We are an international producer of biomass-based diesel, a developer of renewable chemicals and North America’s largest producer of advanced biofuel. Over the past 10 years, we have averaged growth in revenues and gallons sold of over 25%, respectively, on an average annual basis, and continue to be strategic in our capital allocation for future growth and opportunities on a global basis.
The responsibilities of the Senior Manager, Indirect Tax would typically align with a Director level position at most companies, and will be responsible for strategic and tactical management of all indirect tax advisory services offered to internal stakeholders, and manages the reporting and tax return filings for all US indirect taxes of the company, including excise tax, motor fuels tax, sales/use tax, property tax, gross receipts tax, etc., by leveraging a group of direct and indirect reports, currently consisting of nine (9) professionals. Additionally, this position is responsible for maintaining and improving company processes that are in place to ensure compliance with fuel licensing laws and requirements.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for leading a team by being a positive role model and coach, supporting cross-functional teaming that contributes to effective and efficient processes, and expertise with regard to leveraging technology to gain efficiencies with internal processes while adhering to control frameworks. Experience leading teams and projects, as well as influencing organizational change, are key experiences that will allow a person in this role to be successful. Further, candidates should have strong technical research skills, possess excellent oral and written communication skills, have the ability to independently solve problems, possess excellent time management and organizational skills, and have the ability to work in a fluid and ever-changing environment as the business continues to expand and grow.
- Oversees and leads indirect tax team by being a role model, effectively coaching for performance to meet desired objectives and goals
- Key player of the Global Tax Department management team, ensuring coordination across department and company to ensure compliance with US indirect taxobligations and implementation of planning / projects in all jurisdictions relevant to the business and its initiatives
- Collaborates effectively and coordinates cross-functionally with other departments, including Sales, Credit, Accounts Payable, Invoicing, and Customer Service to implement technologies, process improvements, and execute innovative projects
- Leads, develops, and influences indirect tax staff through coaching, mentoring, project involvement and education
- Manages projects and consulting fee spend related to several external consultants who regularly advise the department on technical and compliance matters related to excise and motor fuel tax, as well as sales/use tax, property taxappeals, and various indirect tax credits and incentive programs
- Lead and oversee the preparation and review of all US indirect tax returns and filing obligations of the company in 49 of 50 states, including 150+ motor fuel tax returns and 20+ sales/use tax returns each month, and numerous property tax filings during the year
- Ensures quality assurance of all advice, communications, and work products, by maintaining professional and technical knowledge in all areas of US indirect tax
- Assists and advises internal stakeholders with understanding the indirect tax laws for US, state, and local jurisdictions in which the company operates, with particular emphasis on federal excise and multi-state motor fuel tax laws
- Complies with US federal, state, and local indirect tax law requirements by studying regulations and keeping abreast of tax regulatory changes
- Implement policies and strategies that facilitate efficient and accurate US indirect taxreporting
- Assists in the identification and management of key risks emanating from the US indirect tax function
- Ensures compliance and accurate documentation of the company’s US indirect tax filings and interpretations of tax laws
- Conduct US indirect tax research of all relevant jurisdictional code, regulations, policies, guidelines
- Advises Global Tax Department leadership on the indirect tax effects of business activities and transactions
- Special projects including process development and indirect tax systems implementations, automation of taxprocesses, coordination with business units, and advising on various indirect tax technical issues
- Professionally represents company beforetaxing authorities by effectively communicating before, during, and after audit cycles
Other frequent duties:
- Maintain positive and productive relationships with outside stakeholders, including customers, vendors, advisors, financialauditors, and taxauditors
- Recommends improvements and/or new technologies that will enhance efficiency and effectiveness of internal processes
- Leads and contributes to team effort by accomplishing desired results, including work on team oriented and cross-functional special projects
- Role may involve some travel to visit business locations or trainings, both domestically and internationally
Education Required: 4-yearBachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field; Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification desired; Masters of Accounting or Masters of Taxation a plus.
Experience Required: 10+ years of corporate tax and/or public accounting experience, including 4+ years with responsibilities specific to US excise and state motor fuel taxes. Several years of experience leading and managing a team required. Working knowledge of indirect tax compliance software a plus (i.e., Avalara). Some knowledge of Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne or other enterprise software programs like SAP and People Soft and its applications also a plus.
Skills Required: Ability to use office equipment as described in job description, comprehensive math, algebraic and logic skills, good organizational skills, good oral and written skills, leadership skills ability to learn REG products/services, and ability to use spreadsheet and word processing software.