The Sr. Manager, Hardware Validation guides the overall effort for the company in matters related to testing and validation of all types of hardware in diversified products. This position manages validation activities for all hardware (mechanical and electrical) designed and produced for the company. In this role, you will develop or modify objectives for the position as well as guiding the establishment of objectives for the validation group. You will continually consider, analyze, and evaluate the impact of scientific or engineering advances on company programs and activities, and breakthrough frontier areas to establish new knowledge and/or approaches to validate proposed designs. This Sr. Manager, Hardware Validation will report to the VP, Engineering and has excellent long-term career growth potential.
- Guides the overall effort for the company in matters related to testing and validation of all types of hardware in diversified products.
- Provides expert guidance to upper management and other functional groups.
- Effectively and clearly communicates to the team, colleagues, and upper management the results of tests, studies, projects, or programs in terms of key learning derived from those activities and makes recommendations on how to address any design or manufacturing issues identified in the course of these activities.
- Maintains liaison with individuals and units within or outside the organization to enhance and improve internal operations or capabilities. Initiates or responds with accepted counsel on subjects outside own direct responsibility.
- Assumes full responsibility for interpreting, organizing, executing, and coordinating assignments of all personnel in the group.
- Supervises, trains, coaches, and mentors engineering teams and individuals within the group on reliability techniques and methods with the goal of overall improvement of the testing and validation capabilities of the company.
- Participates and contributes to product design reviews. Acts as a sounding board for design issues. Indirectly/directly drives design practice consistency. Drives the use of FMEA’s and other predictive tools. Drives common platform utilization and re-use
- Guides the development of: Efficient test methods, processes, and fixtures that reduce the test time, have defined acceleration factors, and produce results that are representative of actual field reliability results.
- Formulation and recommends specific division and major program goals (within the framework or established division objectives) to achieve confidence in the viability of the product design prior to production.
- Decisions or authoritative recommendations on all technical matters necessary to assure validation goals are met. Practices independent leadership and action.
- Is recognized as an expert and is a resource for resolving key issues relating to validation questions or methodologies.
- Promotes the use of analytical methods and computer simulations to continually improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the group.
- Provides engineering services to all product launch teams.
- Selects and promotes the use of analytical and software tools for failure root cause determination and other reliability-related metrics.
- Leads development of accurate warranty cost prediction methods based on test and service performance data.
- Supports the Legal department with failure and data analysis.
- Provides product performance or competitive analysis to Marketing and upper management
- Reviews and/or performs validation testing on designs produced for the company by outside partners.
- Facilitating discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution within the validation group and between the validation group and other functions.
- Evaluates the effect of various cleaning agents or other environmental factors on finishes, product labeling, and hardware.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Minimum 10 years leadership, analytical, and/or hands-on experience in a related engineering field.
- Knowledge of commercially available analysis software is desired.
- Extensive knowledge of engineering design and manufacturing theory, principles, and procedures required.
- Must have experience directly leading reliability engineering and validation teams.
- Have a solid track record of successful innovation, product development, and technical management.
- Ability to work in a motivated team environment.
BS in Engineering, Math, or Related Science, M.S. preferred.