In collaboration and under the guidance of the Director, Communications and Public Relations, the Sr. Manager, External Communications manages and implements all aspects of Susan G. Komen’s external media communications, including all speaking opportunities, press materials, proactive and reactive media relations, and media tours. Helps manage PR agencies responsible for implementing organizations thought leadership plan and positioning. Supports cross-functional and cross-departmental teams to support ongoing and special campaigns with the goal of enhancing Komen’s brand positioning and driving revenue. He/she serves as a spokesperson on a range of issues, responsible for driving earned media strategy. Identifies and manages the promotion of key Susan G. Komen topics and trends by planning and executing public relations campaigns and activities across all media platforms.
- Develop and manage new public relations campaigns and opportunistic public relations initiatives that support organizations goals.
- Work with Mission and Development Communications managers to identify and manage the promotion of key Susan G. Komen topics and trends, planning and executing public relations campaigns and activities across all earned media platforms.
- Fosters relationships, builds networks, connects with journalists, bloggers and editors, and has a deep understanding of how to leverage them to build Susan G. Komen’s public profile.
- Contributes to the development of the organization’s content strategy/calendar, and drives the development of public relations stories and press releases across paid, owned and earned media.
- Ensure that Susan G. Komen maintains a consistent voice and strategic message across print, digital and broadcast media as well as emerging media platforms.
- Drives editorial planning and actively pursue public relations opportunities for broadcast, print and digital. Designs inclusive processes and procedures for the Marcom team in the development of external media story opportunities.
- Thrives on fostering relationships, building networks, connecting with journalists, bloggers and editors, and has a deep understanding of how to leverage them to build Susan G. Komen’s public profile.
Minimum Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in public relations, journalism, communications or related field.
- Strong writing skills and knowledge of a variety of communications formats (print, broadcast, online) is required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage assignments, meet multiple, competing deadlines and coordinate with supervisors, subordinates, external partners and Komen Affiliates.
- Prefer 3+ years of experience in public relations, journalism, and/or communications. Demonstrated work experience in a fast-paced organization.
- Strong writing and organizational skills a must.
- Demonstrated experience in working with outside vendors (measurement analytics, newswire, PR agencies), photographers, video production companies, etc.) considered valuable
Specialized Knowledge Requirements