About the Business
Enterprise Services, Working better together.
Our teams are dedicated to providing the services and technology our business partners need to help customers achieve lifetime financialsecurity. Through innovation and collaboration, we're striving to continually find new and better ways to bring value to Sun Life. Enterprise Services has employees in Canada, Ireland, the U.S. and Asia. We partner closely with groups and individuals throughout Sun Life Financial to provide products and services that deliver business value.
This position can be based at the Sun Life office in 1 York, North York or Waterloo, depending on where a suitable candidate is found.
This role reports to the Director, Enterprise Services Risk Management, within a larger team that provides Governance, Risk and Compliance services to Enterprise Services globally. Support the Director ES Risk Management in sustaining productive cross-functional relationships:
- Assist the VP, AVPs, Directors and peers of ES Risk Management with their interactions with Corporate Risk Management and risk partners
- Build awareness and knowledge of policies, frameworks, standards, programs and tools for Enterprise Services
- Build awareness and knowledge of technology-related controls and the frameworks, processes and Enterprise Operating Guidelines for the effective management of control deficiencies
- Engage with ES regional offices, to address operational risk or regulatory related issues as needed
- Build and nurture internal relationships
- within Enterprise Services
- with risk associates from other risk management groups in the organization
- with riskassociates from the second line of defense
- Keep current in regulatory changes, key operational risk themes and industry best practices in operational risk management.
- Leverage external resources, regulatory authorities and agencies to help ensure that Enterprise Services effectively anticipates and responds to regulatory changes that impact Enterprise Services (e.g., outsourcing to public cloud)
- Execute assigned portions of the Enterprise Services annual Operational Risk Management plan
- Ensure that responses to ad hoc and periodic requests are responded to in a timely manner
Reporting to the Director, ES Risk Management, the successful candidate will support Enterprise Services by supporting the development and ongoing maintenance of Enterprise Services Risk Management practice by:
- Assisting the in the development and implementation of Policy and Enterprise Operating Guidelines for some Operational Risk Categories
- Assisting in the development and implementation of riskprocesses and procedures
- Assisting in the design and implementation of operational risk identification and assessment tools
- Conducting in-depth analyses of the outputs of operational risk management processes and tools to assess their effectiveness and identify relevant enterprise-wide operational risk themes;
- Contribute to maintaining a central repository (risk register) of operational risks such as risk and control self-assessments (RCSA), risk discussions, key risk indicators, operational incident reports, internal event and external event reviews;
- Contribute to operational risk management reporting to ensure that key enterprise-wide operational risk themes can be appropriately communicated to senior management and the Corporate Risk Management team in a timely manner;
- Work with Enterprise Services and Corporate Risk Management to identify and implement ongoing improvements to enhance the effectiveness of the operational risk management program at Sun Life Financial.
- Expert level knowledge in Risk Management especially Operational Risk Management
- Good understanding of technology, supplier, records management, business management, finance, operations
- Excellent workplace productivity skills, ie, Office, research applications, etc.
- Well-developed written and oral skills, sufficient to communicate technical, analytical or conceptual information and ideas to the business, senior management
- Strong organization, leadership, and team oriented skills. Demonstrated ability to collaborate across team portfolios and clients groups as well as execute on priorities, influence change, and deliver results
- A good conceptual thinker with proven analytic skill and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently and apply professional judgment to effectively diagnose the root cause of problems
- Ability to work in a dynamic fast paced environment with tight deadlines;
- A positive, energetic, can-do attitude is an asset
- Computer Science, Risk Management, Mathematics or Management Information Systems background or the equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Certifications desired CISA, CRISC, CISSP, CRM, FRM, MBCI, CBCP
- A minimum of 5 years experience in Operational Risk Management