A critical role in our Brokerage business is the Equity & ETF Trading Senior Manager. In this role, you will build and lead a team of senior traders focused on specialized equity and ETF trading strategies, with a primary responsibility of launching and overseeing fractional (i.e., notional) trading capabilities. This role requires an experienced candidate with technical acumen and strong people leadership.
In this role you will…
- Lead a brokerage trading team supporting Vanguard’s retail investors, specifically the Equity and ETF trade desk facilitating sophisticated trades (e.g., risk, not held, notional, etc.) and other specialty transactions.
- Lead the strategic build out of a new desk, including hiring traders and developing procedures to manage risk and meet regulatory requirements.
- Empower a team of brokerage professionals to embrace working in new ways, that rewards experimentation, innovative thinking, and an owner’s mindset.
- Represent the firm with critical external stakeholders (e.g., regulators, auditors, market centers, and industry peers).
What it takes:
- Hires, evaluates, and supervises crew. Provides guidance and training as necessary to develop crew. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, and makes informed compensation decisions in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Utilizes trading expertise to ensure best in class trading experience.
- Leverages trading knowledge and competitive intelligence to influence and support departmental strategy from inception through implementation based on business need.
- Leverages knowledge of industry and regulatory concerns to minimize risk to clients and Vanguard.
- Develops and manages effective working relationships with internal and external clients, including vendors and financial regulatory bodies. Partners with Compliance and Legal Counsel in response to regulatory inquiries and examinations.
- Identifies improvements to process and technology to enhance control environment and streamline workflows.
- Evaluates market trends to identify potential risks; recommend updates.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
An ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor's degree required. MS/MBA strongly preferred.
- Minimum of eight years of progressively complex experience in trading, order management, regulatory reporting, system architecture, and market structure engagement.
- Management experience in a large, complex financial services organization preferred.
- Detailed knowledge of the broad financial markets, including industry structure, trading practices, risk management techniques, system capabilities, and broker/dealer regulations.
- Proficiency with the development and utilization of reporting metrics (dashboards) and continuous process improvement programs through Six Sigma or related methodology.
- Broad leadership, people and performance management and talent identification skills.
- Highly effective influencing, collaboration, relationship management, project management and partnering skills.
- Ability to consistently apply sound business rationale, perspective, flexibility, and judgment when evaluating highly complex issues.
- Ability to present and communicate business and organizational updates to a wide range of audiences from the departmental/divisional level through senior management