The Senior Manager of Engineering is responsible for directly managing 6-10 developers of varying cohort levels of the Information Security Team. A successful candidate will guide his/her teams to delivering high quality software that achieves their business goals, as well as coaching individuals and ensuring they grow along their chosen career path. The role also requires strong interpersonal and communication skills as this individual will collaborate with multiple stakeholders both on and off the team.
- Provide managerial oversight of a technical area comprised of 2-3 scrum teams and maintain working knowledge of the product-line for area of assignment.
- Set and monitor performance goals & objectives, including providing feedback through performance appraisals and day-to-day discussions.
- Look across all teams under scope of control and identify systemic blockers.
- Attend daily stand-ups often enough to be abreast of common occurrences.
- Ensure delivery of quality releases through management of direct reports and conduct code reviews as needed.
- Determine team meeting cadence to ensure efficiency in scrum ceremonies and alignment in work allocation.
- Provide guidance and troubleshoot as appropriate on complex technical issues until resolution.
- Share the team vision and strategy to foster an understanding of the overall direction and the "why" behind decisions.
- Hold ongoing career pathing discussions; encourage lateral development in addition to readiness for upward mobility.
- Identify hiring needs for the team; Interview candidates and provide feedback to influence hiring decisions for open roles.
- Encourage those on your team to take risks and learn from mistakes; create a safe environment for them to fail.
- Look for holistic opportunities for work and people improvements across entire team in addition to helping individuals succeed.
Education, Experience, & Skills Required:
- 8-10 years of leading teams in a technical environment
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- Track record of developing employees both technically and professionally
- Previous experience working in an agile environment is preferred.
- Software engineering skills and computer science experience.
- Experience in distributed systems (Hadoop, Spark, Mesos), cloud-based architecture, RESTful API, WebUI (HTML 5) and modern JS frameworks.
- Familiarity with Unix/Linux, Big Data, SQL, NoSQL, and various othertechnologies.
- Understanding of iOS and Android environments.