Senior Manager, Engineering and Safety
Universal Creative is the planning and development division of Universal Parks and Resorts™, which is one of the many businesses within NBCUniversal™. We are ideally situated in Orlando, Florida, which has become widely known as the theme park and resort capital of the world. We are responsible for the design, development, and delivery of all resort and theme park concepts for all of Universal vacation destinations worldwide – Universal Orlando Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan, Universal Studios Singapore, as well as a new destination coming in 2020 in Beijing, China. Join us if you want to collaborate, innovate, develop, and deliver the most compelling entertainment experiences imaginable that drive growth for the Universal brand around the world.
What sets Universal Creative apart?
We rarely wear suits. We think pop culture is fascinating and newsworthy. We are aware that possibilities are not limited by today’s realities. We know that everyone has good ideas (and the occasional bad one as well). We know that the world is large and varied, and that we touch all of it. We know that most high school guidance counselors don’t know our jobs exist. We know that if this were easy, everyone would be doing it. We know that there is an eclectic assortment of talented people from various professional backgrounds at the heart of Universal Creative. In addition, we embrace the power of cultural diversity and inclusion and continuously strive to maintain a team that is a reflection of our global audience. We are a diverse group, but united by a common goal: to dream and deliver the best possible out-of-home entertainment for people from every walk of life. In order to make that happen, Universal Creative relies on collaboration, hard work, synchronicity, a bit of luck, and a bunch of talented, experienced people who do not let ego and turf stand in the way of brilliance. We depend on a team of people who understand the task, the business implications, and refuse to be defeated by the challenge to fuse fantasy with physics. Universal Creative embraces ‘The Universal Way’ by not just meeting guest expectations, but exceeding them, every time.
JOB SUMMARY: The Senior Manager of Engineering & Safety is a key technical contributor for Universal Theme Park development activities. This individual is responsible for the technical support and development of Scope of Work packages, design, production, installation, and acceptance testing of Show and Ride systems, and may manage Technical managers, Engineering Managers, Engineers, Associate Engineers, and Technical Coordinators to these ends. These systems may include, Special Effects, Projection, Set/Scenic, Props, Show Action Equipment, Animated Figures, Ride Mechanical Systems, and related Control Systems. Responsibilities include enforcement of Universal technical requirements, acting as a technical interface to outside design and production entities, providing technical input and direction to project risk management/risk reduction activities, and other such tasks as defined by Project or S/R Engineering management, and that support S/R Engineering tasks.
- Ensure all Show and Ride equipment maintains the highest level of safety in accordance with Universal Specifications, accepted manufacturing practices and local codes and standards, both directly and through Engineers and other technical personnel managed.
- Provide technical guidance and mentoring as required to Show and Ride Engineering Managers (EMs), Responsible Engineers (REs), and/or project Technical Managers (TM’s) throughout project and core assignments. Perform all technical duties and take all technical responsibilities in the absence of EMs, REs, and/or TMs.
- Oversee all technical interaction with attraction Engineering personnel, Vendors, Sub-contractors, and relevant 3rd parties involved with Show and Ride systems.
- Enforce Show and Ride technical and safety principles to provide a quality product and necessary deliverables to our customer. Support and advise the Attraction Manager/Director on how best to achieve this goal, and keep UPR Core Safety & Engineering briefed on progress and issues. Is responsible to take UPR S&E direction to the project team.
- Develop an open working relationship with the facility team and specialty & general contractor(s) to ensure a clear line of communication regarding installation, test, and adjust activities.
- Advise, coordinate, and be accountable to designated Engineering Management regarding the status and engineering quality of Show & Ride systems including areas of risk or potential future risks.
- Build strong team cohesion and motivation within the Attraction Technical Team.
SCOPE: The Senior Manager of Engineering & Safety is a key technical contributor for Universal Theme Park development activities. This individual is responsible for the technical support and development of Scope of Work packages, design, production, installation, and acceptance testing of Show and Ride systems, and may manage Technical managers, Engineering Managers, Engineers, Associate Engineers, and Technical Coordinators to these ends.
- Must have a sound understanding of engineering practices and procedures.
- Demonstrate proficient computer skills, to include, Microsoft Office and AutoCAD.
- Clear and concise communication skills.
EDUCATION:Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in Mechanical Engineering is required and Electrical Engineering is considered.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Professional Engineer’s license practicing in Mechanical, Electrical, or Civil Engineering preferred.
EXPERIENCE: 5-7 Years: Vendor Management experience and significant in-field installation related experience is required. Experience with contract law and practice in the theme park and/or construction industries is preferred. 8-10 Years: Related Engineering experience is required. Theme Park specific experience is highly preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.