At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We're all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Responsible for managing an employee relations team for at least one major location. Responsible for assisting in the development and implementation of ER strategies, programs and policies which promote productive and positive relationships between managers, employees and co-workers by helping to prevent and resolve issues between individuals. Ensures efficient and effective processes and procedures are in place and being followed in a consistent manner in order to resolve issues in an expedient manner, that individuals are treated fairly, and that actions taken are in compliance with Company policy and government regulations. Leads policy and procedure development for the entire ER function. Serves as back-up to ER Director.
- Handles the more complex and sensitive ER matters at their location, which will include certain director-level and other key position ER issues, and investigates formal charges from government agencies.
- Helps to develop, implement, and ensure the efficient and effective processes and procedures are in place and are being followed consistently in order to resolve issues in an expedient manner, that individuals are treated fairly, and that actions taken are in compliance with company policy and government regulations.
- Leads the team that oversees day-to-day ER operations with responsibilities that include but are not limited to, advice and guidance to managers, handles violations and internal fraud risk assessments, addresses domestic violence situations providing advice and counsel to employees, investigates internal complaints regarding fair treatment and compliance with ER policies and laws, manages ER compliance, ensures employee relations training is developed and provided, policy guidance to managers and employees on the interpretation of policies and procedures, supports the exit process, manages health and safety issues as it relates to threats to employees, Workers' Compensation issues and accommodations, maintains ER records, gathers and analyzes data to identify trends and gaps, and ensures appropriate training for managers and employees is provided to mitigate risks, and promotes a more engaged workforce.
- Assists in taking proactive measures, based on internal data, changes in employment law, and ER company policies, to ensure education is provided to the appropriate audiences with the goal of minimizing legal risk and preventing the unfair treatment of employees.
- Responsible for developing and modifying ER policies and procedures; training for ER staff. Manages and coaches a team of ER professionals.
- Drives continual improvement and service delivery excellence within the HR functional area by ensuring a well-controlled environment through effective processes, workflow, and technology.
- Participates in, and may lead, projects with a significant scope/impact. Represents ER in audits and associated action plans.
At a minimum, here's what we need from you:
- Bachelor's Degree in HR, Psychology, Business, or related field
- 2+ years of experience in people management
- 10+ years of experience in employee relations-related experience, such as corrective action and/or employee complaints
If we had our say, we'd also look for:
- Significant experience in ER (subject matter expert, including strong knowledge of employment laws and practices); preferably in a large organization with a large non-exempt field presence.
- People Leader with demonstrated effectiveness in coaching, providing balanced feedback, setting clear expectations and direction, employee development and engagement.
- A reputation for discretion, integrity and maintaining confidences.
- Demonstrated ability to be a highly collaborative team player who works well with all levels of employees and management, and HR staff
- Is business-minded with proven ability to work at both a strategic and operational level.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a culture that is service-oriented and consultative.
- Emotionally mature leader (ability to be objective and to stay calm and focused in dealing with emotional/stressful situations)
- The ability to deliver services with a realistic/pragmatic approach based on sound judgement – balancing the needs of the business with the values, ER policies and laws under which we operate (knows how to operate in the gray).
- Strong communicator, presenter, influencer, conflict manager and negotiator, with history of success coaching all levels of management and employees through complex, difficult and emotional issues.
- A strong problem solver.
- Project management experience.
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.