Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Senior Manager Embedded Software Engineering - Burlington, MA
The Senior Software Engineering Manager (Senior Manager, Software Engineering) will be responsible for leading the software engineering team for definition, design, implementation and verification of our cardiac pressure sensors and mechanical circulatory systems. We deliver custom in-house embedded software applications developed for Implantable Devices. This is a highly visible director-tract role where you will join the project leadership team having an opportunity to directly interact with key stakeholders including KOLs and world-class researchers. We are seeking a technically-competent, highly-motivated, execution-focused leader with the ability to define roles and activities necessary for a successful product commercialization.
- Lead a team of 15+ Embedded software developers, across multiple sites using Agile methods to develop embedded software for Class III medical devices.
- Design and deliver software for Implanted Cardiac Pressure Sensors and Mechanical Circulatory Systems with best in class communication, data visualization and usability
- Guide technical and architectural decisions by leveraging your domain expertise and the experience of your subject matter experts
- Enhance software architecture and technology stack to meet future needs and scalability
- Drive development of software architecture and functionality across platforms - with an emphasis on modularity and portability to allow reuse.
- Plan, execute and track projects and resources to meet goals
- Clearly communicate technical needs and goals with your senior talent, generate effective conversations, build consensus and then take ownership and drive execution of the solution
- Manage and expand your technical assets. Identify your teams' core competencies and areas in need of improvement, select and hire the appropriate skillsets and personalities to deliver on your vision
- Evolve and nurture your high-performance software engineering team by developing, mentoring, and coaching each engineer as appropriate, to achieve individual and project goals for on-time product delivery with exceptional quality
- Encourage innovation and outside-of-the-box solutions, directing the research and prototyping of new and innovative solutions; drive feasibility studies of the design to determine if capable of functioning as intended
- Deploy outsourced software development efforts via external partners and subcontractors. Work with them to ensure success through accountability and transparency.
- Ensure compliance with Abbott quality policies, procedures, and practices
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar
- 5+ years' experience managing teams to deliver software from concept to delivery for complex systems.
- 10+ years' experience with increasing responsibility in leading, developing embedded software in a regulated environment.
- Strong knowledge and proven experience in C, C++in an embedded environment for micro-controllers.
- Familiarity with Linux OS.
- Sound decision making and risk analysis skills
- Experience working with cross-functional teams such as Marketing, Quality, and Systems Engineering to deliver on project commitments
- Strong leadership skills, including the ability to set goals and provide positive and constructive feedback respectfully to build positive relationships and improve business results.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly to upper management and other stakeholders in different functions at various levels
- Strong organizational, planning, and follow-up skills and ability to hold others accountable
- Ability to work effectively a fast-paced changing environment.
- Ability to travel approximately 15%.
- Advance level degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Software Architecture or related discipline
- Experience in the Class III Medical Devices domain
- 3+ years' experience in Medical device development and/or other highly regulated industry.
- Embedded Software architecture experience.
- Understanding of 62304 and MISRA C Standards.
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 107,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and generous tuition assistanceplus student loan assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
EPHF Electrophysiology & Heart Failure
United States > Massachusetts : 23 Fourth Avenue
Yes, 15 % of the Time
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.