RTI's International Education Division supports education development around the world by strengthening education policy, management and practice in order to achieve measurable improvement in teaching and learning. From our well-established reputation in education system strengthening, to innovative work in early grade assessment and learning, RTI is improving education quality, relevance and efficiency through implementation of projects funded by USAID, The LEGO Foundation, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and other donors and clients.
RTI is seeking a Senior Manager, Early Childhood Development to support project and business development initiatives related to early childhood development (ECD) and pre-primary education, ensuring efficient management and quality of work products while working collaboratively with other ECD, education and operational staff. The Senior Manager, Early Childhood Development will perform technical assistance, design and contribute to new business and programs, conduct research in ECD and pre-primary education, and provide support to other basic education programming as required. This position will be based in Washington, DC or Research Triangle Park, NC (RTI headquarters), or may be performed remotely, and will require international travel (approximately 20%). The Senior Manager, Early Childhood Development will report to the Director, Early Childhood Development, on RTI’s International Education team.
- Serve as a leading technical specialist in RTI’s ECD practice area, supporting the development of technical approaches and tools that enhance the positive impact of our work in ECD and pre-primary education programs.
- Provide a wide range of technical assistance to field-based teams implementing ECD and pre-primary education programs. Technical assistance tasks may include developing teaching and learning materials (especially for emergent literacy, numeracy and social-emotional learning), designing and delivering training, adapting assessments, advising government counterparts and overseeing research activities. Activities may be school-based or implemented through parents and communities. Technical assistance will include short-term travel to locations of project implementation. Technical assistance may also be provided to basic education programming (e.g., focused on grades 1-6) as assigned.
- Lead the development of ECD and pre-primary education technical proposals, concept notes, and expressions of interest and assist with new business opportunity tracking, serving as Proposal Leader and/or Technical Writer. Contribute to other business development activities in support of the broader International Education Division (e.g., primary education sector), such as capture trips, partner identification and development, internal coordination or other related tasks.
- Serve as Project Manager as assigned, providing project oversight and management support to moderately complex client-funded projects in low- and middle-income countries. Supervise and support field-based project leaders, liaise with clients and write project reports, briefs and accomplishment summaries. Projects assigned may be focused on ECD, pre-primary or primary education.
- Represent RTI in ECD-related coalitions and advocacy groups, and maintain an active network with ECD and pre-primary education sector partners, donors, consultants, host country counterparts and stakeholders.
- Collaborate with colleagues across the Institute on technical and strategic planning initiatives to strengthen RTI’s ECD practice area through leveraging internal cross-sectoral expertise.
- Design, conduct and publish ECD and pre-primary education research in collaboration with project teams and field-based researchers. Contribute to the development of published technical articles, papers, reports.
- Present RTI’s work in ECD and pre-primary education in conference, seminars and workshops.
- Bachelor’s Degree in education or related field with 12 years of relevant work experience; or Master’s Degree in education or related field with 9 years of related work experience; or; Ph.D. in education and 6 years of relevant work experience
- Experience providing technical support in ECD, pre-primary education (especially for emergent literacy, numeracy and social-emotional learning), nurturing care, early learning or parenting programs in low- and middle-income country settings
- Demonstrated capacity to contribute to technical proposals for ECD, pre-primary or primary education, including serving as a proposal lead or a proposal writer
- Capacity to develop teaching and learning materials for classroom and community use, design and deliver training, develop quality assurance and coaching systems, adapt assessment frameworks and instruments, participate in monitoring and evaluation, and contribute to policy analysis in early learning
- Demonstrated capacity to manage ECD, pre-primary or primary education programs in low- and middle-income country contexts
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines under pressure
- Ability to work independently and within matrix project and program teams
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to travel internationally as needed
- Culturally sensitive and respectful
- Experience designing and overseeing research related to ECD or early learning
- Familiarity with current trends in pre-primary education and integrated ECD programs
- Familiarity with learning standards and instructional practices in primary grades
- Proficiency in French
The anticipated pay range for this role is between $90,000 and $120,000. RTI considers multiple factors when making an offer including, for example: established salary range, internal budget, business needs, and education and years of work experience possessed by the applicant. Further, salary is merely one element to our offer.