We always seek highly creative and intellectually curious Technology Professionals with a deep technical expertise in networking and network security to join our team. This is an opportunity to build and lead high-performance team(s) which will be responsible for the overall resiliency of the Capital One network; ensure operational excellence of new designs and build for Capital One's large scale enterprise network and network security environment(s). Streamline and enhance the performance of the environment(s) and engage with Capital One's internal and external audit resources and to foster the use of expert level troubleshooting skills by the team. Our network and network security environments play a major role in protecting our company, so ensuring optimal performance of the environment is critical. You will collaborate and innovate with smart and passionate people within Capital One to push the envelope (when necessary) to deliver results that have a direct impact on the company's bottom line. This position will manage a team of dynamic and talented networking and network security professionals who would look up to you and learn from your experiences and skills.
On any given day you will:
- Direct a team of network professionals ensuring resiliency of the Capital One network environment.
- Directly manage and lead a team of network engineers.
- Lead enterprise support strategy development and assist with lifecycle management efforts for owned platforms/technologies inclusive of Wide Area Network Carrier, Routers and Switches, Wireless, DNS and on occasions Firewall, Cyber Defense and Proxy services.
- Engage with technology vendors.
- Diligently manage platform environment(s) to ensure that it is resilient and operating at optimal levels.
- Drive major incident/problem resolution for incidents related to resiliency, consult with other technology support groups as needed including Operational Advance Support and Engineering Teams as part of the problem resolution efforts.
- Assist with the implementation of new platforms, code versions, and features to ensure resiliency requirements.
- Assess security vulnerabilities, identify mitigation plans and successfully implement them.
- Consult on the creation and/or maintenance of standards documentation, operational design documentation / templates / topology diagrams and workflow documents.
- Participate in technology integration efforts with engineering and other support teams to ensure new designs and implementation are resilient and meet the high standards of Operational Excellence for Capital One.
- Provide direct support of audit and ad hoc consulting engagements. Ensure compliance with departmental and enterprise security configuration standards.
- Serve as mentor and technical resource for team(s) by providing training to associates through one-on-one or group technical discussions.
Successful candidates will possess:
- Experience building and maintaining a strong, high performance team of specialists.
- Understanding of strategic business objectives and the ability to drive results toward those objectives.
- Strong knowledge of incident management, problem management, and best practices for change management.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills with a high degree of attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently as well as part of a geographically dispersed integrated team.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced, highly collaborative, frequently changing, and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Expert level knowledge of how to use network management tools and packet captures to resolve operational issues.
- A high-level understanding of multi-tiered application traffic flow, server load balancing, global load balancing, and firewalls.
- Familiarity with ITIL, Agile (Kanban) project delivery, industry standard network management tools, and common application traffic flow patterns in multi-tiered applications.
- A solid understanding of what comprises a scalable, robust, supportable design.
- Calmness and clarity of thought under pressure.
- High levels of integrity in the conduct of personal and professional affairs.
- A bias toward action, along with an internal drive for continuous improvement.
- A passion for teamwork and customer service.
Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communications skills to:
- Discuss complex technical issues with various technicians, engineers, and vendors.
- Assemble and clearly present technical information in a business-like manner to non-technical personnel.
- Lead and facilitate communications with people in immediate department, other departments, and external third parties.
- Inform and influence senior leaders and peers.
This position is an operational role. As such, periodic late-night work and participation in a management on-call rotation will be essential and required. At times the late-night work may come with minimal notice.
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 6 years' professional experience in an operational role or at least 6 years' professional experience in a technical leadership role supporting an enterprise network infrastructure that is geographically distributed
- At least 6 years' experience with Cisco Routing and Switching technologies
- At least 1 year of experience in Cloud-based distributed denial of service (DDoS) mitigations
- Master's degree in Information Technology or Information Security
- 4+ years' experience with demonstrated technical proficiency in Infoblox DNS/DHCP, BIND, Microsoft DNS or 4+ years' experience with demonstrated technical proficiency in Blue Coat Proxy servers or 4+ years' experience with demonstrated technical proficiency in Aruba wireless access points, controllers and Clearpass
- 2+ years' experience Cloud-based distributed denial of service DDoS mitigation