The Senior Manager, Digital Engineering role provides senior technical leadership to Pfizer Digital Solutions and Emerging Technologies (DSET), enabling business technology solutions that drive sales performance. This role requires superior understanding and capability to evaluate solutions proposals and dive deeply into issues when required. The candidate will deliver technology decisions guided by a deep understanding of Pfizer and DSET Digital strategy and knowledge of how the candidates areas of responsibility fits within them.
The span of technology includes global digital platforms such as Marketo, Laravel, Mulesoft, AWS and Drupal.
The role will provide technical leadership to complex digital projects at Pfizer with responsibility for over 20 contractors (depending on project phasing) and management and leadership of the end to end project execution. The successful candidate will work in partnership with Project Managers, other Business Technology service providers, Product Owners, business team members, senior leaders and stakeholders.
The DSET team provides systems and support for Pfizer’s Digital, Mobile and SFE Platforms. The technical challenges that we solve are on a large scale with an enormous impact to Pfizer’s bottom line. Our team consists of highly driven technically talented people who are enabled to deliver innovative solutions that are challenging and rewarding.
The primary responsibility of this position is to provide leadership and accountability for the successful delivery of technical aspects of all Digital DSET projects leveraging our global development platforms. These include large scale regional and global projects. This includes roles as both senior advisor and a detailed implementer when required. The candidate will deliver technology decisions guided by a deep understanding of Pfizer and DSET Digital strategy and knowledge of how the candidates areas of responsibility fits within them.
The successful candidate will be recognized internally and in the industry as technical/functional expert in commercial architecture and development disciplines. They must be able to leverage technical/functional expertise in Pfizer’s various global solutions delivery teams appropriately. They must use knowledge of industry, related industries, customer requirements and general business environment to define strategic project actions in support of commercial business units globally.
- Exhibit a high level of business knowledge and understanding of the external marketplace and how these apply to Pfizer initiatives.
- Be responsible to providing key technology decisions such as product and vendor selection using RFI and RFP processes, accounting for the strategic directions provided by Pfizer, DSET and AED digital strategies.
- Be responsible for leading consensus on technical approach and implementation plans from peer technical community, business sponsor and BT management that align to architectural roadmaps.
- Responsible for the creation of technical designs and implementation plans both independently and with vendor and colleague teams.
- Provide technical input and guidance to team members to assist in the creation of roadmaps maintained by Digital Center of Excellence teams.
- Provide for and be accountable for the financial and schedule accuracy of estimates provided for projects by members of the Digital Engineering Team.
- Be accountable to deliver on the approved project portfoliorequired by Pfizer Established Health and Pfizer Innovative Health in all global markets.
- Work with BT Business partners within BU lines and the Global Commercial Solution Center to define requirements for new systems.
- Anticipate, oversee or influence an environment where continuous improvement and innovation are embedded in day-to-day operations
- Encourage acceptable levels of risk-taking towards driving innovation; determine acceptable levels of risk in innovative technology supporting commercial units globally.
- Work with the Solution Center Project Management team to define and execute against project deliverables.
- Work with the Solution Center Support team to assist with the technical support of the ongoing production environment and ensure the successful handoff of new applications.
- Work with the infrastructure and shared service organizations to procure and manage stable application platforms.
- Partner with Global Data Management organization to achieve the successful integration of all application solutions.
- Champion innovation. Develop and leverage resources to implement innovative ideas/processes/ products across GCS and commercial Business Units, taking appropriate risks to achieve desired results.
- Work with the Center of Excellence teams to ensure project solutions align with product roadmaps, helping to develop an application strategy which provide long term value to the overall business and allow the BT function to reduce cost.
- Drive technical delivery cost savings targets through effective project estimation, vendor selection and negotiation, and project delivery efficiencies.
DSET works on a variety of different technology platforms. The most important skill we are seeking is leadership in communication and decision making. In addition, skills require technical project delivery with a focus on planning, estimation, implementation planning, quality control and successful delivery.
Architecture and Planning
- Ability to listen to system and functional requirements and translate that into architecture planning documents and presentations that balance the needs of stakeholders and long-term sustainability.
Technical Team Leadership and Oversight
- Ability to manage both contract staff in the successful delivery of technology projects while maintaining Pfizer’s quality standards.
- Ability to take a systematic approach to estimation of technical project
Software Development Experience
- Ability to understand large scale system implementations in different technology focus areas
- Ability to evaluate technical decisions, communicate key technical principles and make recommendations on solutions.
Ideal candidates will be familiar with multiple of the following technologies.
- Web Services
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field and relevant technical experience with emphasis on software development and maintenance as well as Minimum of 7-10 years of experience as an information technology professional with increasing responsibility designing, delivering, and maintaining large-scale, global systems,
- BA/MS in information Management, Computer Science, Engineering or Technology Management preferred.
- Proven relevant experience as an information technology professional in one or many roles such as a software developer, technical project manager, systems administrator, database administrator, systems engineer, computer engineer or support specialist.
- Demonstrated proficiency and knowledge of the Pharma industry, customer requirements and general business environment to adapt and implement strategic projects. Proven experience in exhibiting high level of business knowledge and understanding of the external marketplace and in anticipating business requirements.
- Proven relevant experience as an IT technology leader, preferably in a pharmaceutical industry.
- Demonstrated progressive experience successfully designing, delivering and maintaining IT business solutions for large-scale global organizations across multiple hardware and software platforms.
Must have demonstrated competency / expertise in:
- Software Development Lifecycle management, including production system maintenance and operation
- Team leadership and project management
- Industry recognized Information security qualificatios
- Proven track record of building and implementing a global technology strategy that aligns to business priorities
- Managing financial resources to meet goals across multiple projects
- Sourcing model definition and effective execution
- Technology solutions delivery in a pharmaceutical or regulated environment
- Demonstrated experience in vendor negotiations with cited impacts to strategic direction and in-line production products.
- Experience in mobile or related emerging technology preferred.
- Candidate must demonstrate excellent skills in analysis, strategic thinking and planning, oral and written communication, consensus building, facilitation, negotiation and the ability to readily learn a new business area.
- Prior software development and architectureexperience
- Knowledge of system integrations is desirable
- Estimation of software systems
- Strong customer relationship skills
- High level of awareness of internal and external technology trends.
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Technology solutions delivery in a pharmaceutical or regulated environment with demonstrated capabilities managing large scale, enterprise software requirements definition, designs and implementations in a global 24 by 7 environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to build relationships, influence outcomes, and to deliver effective presentations to a variety of audiences
- Ability to lead in a complex, matrix environment with indirect resources geographically distributed.
Demonstrated progressive experience successfully managing software development projects. Must have demonstrated competency / expertise in:
- Knowledge and experience with Mobile, Digital and Emerging technologies
- Ability to work with others in a constructive and collaborative manner
- Ability to think critically; to recognize and anticipate a problem (technical, operational, process, organizational) and to identify and implement or communicate the best solution in a timely manner.
- Coordination with other BT staff to leverage shared services.
- Must be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing with internal technical staff, BT Management and vendors.
- Generation of appropriate documentation: project plans, requirements documents, use cases, storyboards
- Demonstrated effective organization and time management
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results under aggressive schedules
- Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision
- Ability to function in a dynamic work environment
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Travel will be required as part of this role as it is a virtual position. Expectations around travel will vary but candidates must be capable of travel within the region, to other regions, and to Pfizer World Headquarters.
Business Technology is a 7x24x365 endeavor. This role may require physical or virtual participation on a weekend, holiday, or after normal business hours
EEO & Employment Eligibility