Senior Manager, Design Engineering, ( R & D )
The Senior Manager, Product Development will be responsible for leading a team of engineers on new product development (NPD) and sustaining product engineering for a key product category. Moderate travel will be required. This position will:
•Provide technical oversight of design and development of new products via New Product Development Stage-Gate process
•Manage product engineers, project leaders, and contract engineers
•Require the ability to work effectively with other disciplines including Marketing, Industrial Design, Manufacturing, Quality, and Supply Chain
• Executes long-term technical strategy to align with corporate goals and objectives.
• Cultivates criteria for category success and drives path forward to achieve success in the most timely and cost effective manner.
• Develops and monitors program Profit and Loss (P&L) and key drivers that affect overall project financial health to ensure programs meet established objectives (e.g., margins, costs, revenue, etc.).
• Decides on future tactical requirements and programs to ensure team is positioned and resourced to deliver business needs.
• Assists in building and tracking team budget and making course corrections as necessary to deliver business objectives.
• Translates and communicates Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to ensure team contribution is aligned with the overall business strategy.
• Prepares development plans and sets objectives with individual contributors to ensure employee development.
• Develops and manages key technical partnerships to advance internal capabilities.
• Uses financial information and analysis to support fact based business decisions.
• Applies technical knowledge and understanding to day-to-day decision making to meet business objectives.
• Manages team members development plans to ensure appropriate develop plans are in place.
• Leads team, manages performance, mentors, and advises to build employee engagement.
• Implements segment portfolio management of NPD, productivity, and lifecycle maintenance of products and programs to balance competing business objectives.
• Prepares team in the delivery of robust business cases through the NPD process to align executive leadership to a brand’s innovation strategy.
• Proposes enhancements to the process to ensure proper rigor and efficiency.
• Develops and leads technical experts to commercialize business and product solutions.
• Identifies, leverages, and implements technologies, global product development capabilities, and global supply networks to act as a source of sustainable competitive advantage.
• Evaluates and decides on best problem solving-solution to ensure the balance among time, cost, and quality objectives throughout program life.
• Prepares recommendations for Intellectual Property (IP) strategy on a program-by-program basis to build defensible competitive advantage.
• Guides the team to create innovative solutions.
• Develops appropriate project scope for outside technical expert activities by filtering available options to prevent resource gaps.
• Guides cross-functional teams and the subject matter expert (SME) to develop creative solutions to business-critical challenges and roadblocks.
• Delivers organizational direction and change through excellent interpersonal, writing, planning and presentation skills to gain alignment.
• Prepares project status to communicate risks to leadership with proper level of detail and recovery plans.
• Leads department staff meetings to communicate business status.
• Leads ideation and technical sharing forums to foster innovation.
• Encourages cross-functional teams to work seamlessly across boundaries of company, culture, and geography to ensure successful project execution.
• Leads collaboration efforts across organization to leverage best practices, expertise, and shared resources.
• Validates consumer and market insights are a driver of innovation plans and product development priorities to meet business objectives.
• Organizes conversations with development and delivery organizations to deliver consensus on NPD, productivity, and product maintenance.
• Validates alignment between Research and Development (R&D) and Finance on capital spend within guidelines of established project budget to meet business objectives.
• Demonstrates expert level of understanding of Newell manufacturing processes and technologies to produce a product and influence technology choices.
• Attends conferences and educational workshops and pursues certifications to maintain technical knowledge through continuous development.
• Encourages the development of the innovation funnel to collaborate with Marketing and study market trends, competitive products, reviews of technology, and end user needs.
•Bachelor's degree required (Master’s degree in consumer products industry experience preferred)
•10 years of product development leadership and project management experience in a stage-gate product development environment with evidence of successful product launches required (12 years preferred)
•4 years management experience required
•Demonstrates experience in managing a large number of projects through a team of direct reports in a cross functional environment
•Demonstrates organizational skills, aggressive drive for performance, and extremely high levels of personal accountability (required)
•Demonstrates fundamental knowledge of applicable manufacturing processes
•Demonstrates working knowledge of ProE, finite element analysis and SAP is strongly desired
•Demonstrates evidence of strong problem solving skills including identifying problems, potential problems, and developing solutions
•Demonstrates proven track record of creativity and innovation
•Demonstrates excellent communication, interpersonal, writing, planning, and presentation skills
•Demonstrates the ability to lead by direct control and influence for positive business outcomes
•Demonstrates experience in working with Asian suppliers/partners on NPD (required)
Job ID 1705074