The Corporate Finance team is tasked with providing financial insight and guidance to Schwab's leadership team to help drive decision making to help clients own their tomorrow, while working with our oversight bodies and regulators to articulate and handle risk within Schwab's risk appetite. The Corporate Finance team is made up of two primary groups, Corporate Planning and Capital Stress Testing. The Corporate Planning group is tasked with monthly financial forecasting as well as setting and managing the annual financial planning process. The Capital Stress Testing team is tasked with bi-yearly forecasting of highly stressful scenarios to ensure Schwab's resilience to stressful events.
As the Corporate Finance Risk and Oversight Manager, you will primarily be responsible for enhancing and executing robust risk management practices supporting models and processes owned by Corporate Finance. You will be responsible for driving alignment with Schwab Model Risk Management governing principals and regulatory expectations, timely execution of scheduled risk assessment activities (monitoring model performance, assessment of annual model changes, controlled execution of model and process changes, etc.), and facilitating comprehensive remediation of model risk and audit findings. This work will require substantial collaboration with Corporate Finance, Schwab's Risk Management (especially Model Risk Oversight) team, Audit team, and other key partners, to ensure effective interpretation and implementation of standard methodologies and streamlined controls associated with managing model and process risk.What you are good at
The ideal candidate has the demonstrated experience to support financial forecasting teams in interpreting regulatory guidance, and effectively handling model and process risk and controls with an eye on the evolving nature of regulatory requirements. The ideal candidate will have:
What you have
- Experience in building best-practice approaches to running model risk in alignment with regulatory and firm-wide standards, including model documentation management, model performance assessment, identification of key model risk aspects and establishing robust mitigating controls. Experience with CCAR guiding principles is preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to synthesize complexity and articulate processes, modeling approaches and business concepts clearly and concisely while considering regulatory guidelines
- Ability to coordinate and lead risk management efforts across multiple teams and handle internal timelines and results
- Knowledge of financial forecasting / financial planning & analysis (FP&A) standard methodologies to partner with model owners to review, challenge and aid in development and management of new models or assumptions within Corporate Finance
- Shown ability to drive alignment on roles and responsibilities as well as drive accurate accountability for new and existing external regulations and internal policies
- Strong attention to detail and data management standard methodologies, aiding in handling and maintaining consistency across Corporate Finance's multi-model framework
- Given the cross-functional nature of this role, the ability to form relationships and work across teams is a must
- Knowledge of typical finance tools such as Excel, financial planning, and OLAP tools
The ideal candidate has the shown ability to interpret and drive financial modeling risk management activities across teams as well as the ability and initiative to anticipate and resolve problems proactively. Specifically, the ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor's degree in finance, business, information systems or related area required
- MBA, master's degree, or equivalent work experience is a plus
- 5-8 years of experience. Solid understanding and experience with financial forecasting, risk and control frameworks, policies, procedures, oversight, and governance required
- Ability to communicate and present ideas and concepts clearly with team members, senior leadership, and business divisions across the firm
- Strong verbal communication skills and
- Strong technical and business writing skills
- Sharp critical thinking and problem solving abilities
- Project management skills
- Proficiency in MS Office products
- Experience with OLAP and financial planning tools is a plus
- Experience with one or more programming languages (Python, SQL, R, SAS, MATLAB, C#) is a plus; knowledge of relational databases is a must.