Senior Manager, Conference and Event Services
11 - 15 years experience •
The conference center and event management staff are also responsible for facilitating all internal and external meeting set-ups including catering services, audio visual and contracts for external meetings in hotels, group rooms, transportation and any other needs. They also ensure the finalization of all billing to internal and external guests.
Key relationships include collaboration with Pew staff and the following core functions of Workplace Services:
• Integrated Facilities Management (Facilities and Building Engineering)
• Organizational Continuity Management (Business Continuity Management)
- Direct the planning and execution of The Pew Charitable Trusts’ on site conference center, events, meetings and conferences that require meeting space and/or group room nights in Washington, DC, throughout the U.S. and internationally.
- Arrange and ensure that all logistical details including locating sites, organizing food and beverage, handouts, travel, housing, and meeting space for all events, meetings, and conferences are run effectively.
- Schedule pre-convention meetings with hotel staff before each event to discuss menus, room setup and A/V and any other needs.
- Work directly with the travel management companies to set up flights for events, manage the billing and provide approval on flights that are over the approved amounts.
- Work with programmatic staff to ensure contracts for the travel management company are submitted and paid in a timely manner.
- Respond to questions from organizers and attendees in less than 24 hours for each event.
- Research sites and submit request for proposals to venues in order to determine the best available site for each event.
- Negotiate contracts focused on event management. Coordinate with legal to ensure all contracts meet Pew’s process requirements and standards.
- Utilizing Pew’s registration software, Cvent, demonstrate proficiency and ability to create registration pages, invitations and all communications to attendees for all events through the online event management software system.
- Directs the development and implementation of methodologies, processes, and best practices for guest management and event planning.
- Develop and manage meeting, conference center and event related budgets through all phases of event planning. Review all invoices and billing and ensure processing for payments for every event and the conference center.
- Prepares post-conference and eventreports as required, to include, metrics related to events and conference center management.
- Conduct regularly scheduled meetings with staff (internal clients) to seamlessly coordinate program content with event logistics.
- Coordinate with internal clients to confirm and inform legal affairs and government relations of federal or state employees in attendance at Pew events.
- Collaborate with the vice president to identify relevant professional development opportunities and stay up to date on event planning trends and best practices.
- Manage other duties and responsibilities as necessary and assigned.
- Minimum 10 years of experience with a proven track record in conference and event management (internal and external).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Event, Hospitality and Tourism Management, Marketing or related discipline. Master’s Degree is preferred.
- Supervisory/Management skills required with at least three years’ experience. Skilled developing and motivating teams with a result oriented approach. Fully knowledgeable of administering performance management (appraisal).
- Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) or other applicable credentials.
- Experience with Cvent registration software is required. Cvent certification preferred. Knowledge of SalesForce is preferred.
- Extensive meetings management experience with both medium and small (<100) meetings.
- Must demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and interact professionally and effectively with all levels of staff, guests, and be customer focused.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills; ability to manage the details of several events at different stages simultaneously and a strong capacity to track details is required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (including proofreading) and the ability to express oneself concisely and clearly using correct grammar.
- Sound judgment and discretion in handling sensitive matters and a wide variety of people as well as the ability to conduct oneself in a highly professional manner. Makes decisions or choices wisely, after adequately contemplating various courses of action and their potential repercussions.
- Leadership, high integrity and the ability to gain credibility. Ability to develop and manage productive relationships at all levels.
- Proven ability to adapt to a dynamic and ever changing environment.
- Ability to understand organizational structure and work through administrative systems and processes. Ability to work with a wide range of departments cooperatively to accomplish the goals of Pew’s conference center and events.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in the use of office and word processing software (Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) is preferred. Ability to create simple charts, graphs, flow charts, spreadsheets and other figures.
- Event and conference experience in the not-for-profit or public domain is preferred.