Reporting into the Vice President, Regulatory Compliance, the Senior Manager is responsible for managing APUC’s Regulatory Compliance program, focusing on FERC, RTO/ISO, and state utility regulatory compliance. The Senior Manager will identify and provide guidance on the Company’s compliance requirements related to the trading of energy commodities, and the development, operation, and acquisition of energy projects. This position can be based in one of our offices or remote.
- Identify and advise Business Segments, Compliance department, and Company executives on energy regulatory compliance requirements, focusing on FERC and RTO/ISO requirements related to transmission and generation development and operations, and wholesale power trading.
- Develop, review, and manage relevant policies and procedures addressing applicable regulatory requirements.
- Develop and manage relevant training materials in support of electric and gas businesses, focusing on FERC’s approvals for project acquisitions, development, and operations, including energy trading.
- Monitor, interpret, and communicate relevant regulations and developments in the energy industry, including proposed regulatory rules and policies that could be applicable to the Company.
- Provide subject matter expertise on FERC regulations and required filings or approvals applicable to the development, operation, and acquisition of energy projects under the Federal Power Act and Public Utility Holding Company Act (e.g., QF, EWG, MBR, and 203 requirements)
- Assist with FERC filings applicable to project development, operations, and acquisitions, including FERC 203 applications and Market-Based Rate Authorization applications, Triennial Market Power Updates, and Notices of Change in Status.
- Conduct due diligence on potential acquisitions of utilities or energy assets as it relates to compliance with regulatory requirements
- Provide independent checks and assurances to senior management in regards to regulatory compliance
- Support all regulatory investigations and audits by regulators.
- Effectively collaborate with VP, Regulatory Compliance and Chief Compliance and Risk Officer to develop and improve compliance program and services to the Business Segments.
- Manage, supervise, and develop direct reports.
Education & Experience
- 5-10 years of regulatory experience in the energy industry.
- Knowledge of FERC regulations applicable to generation development and operations, including RTO/ISO market rules applicable to wholesale energy trading
- Experience with FERC transmission and gas shipper requirements is desirable, but not required
- Experience with retail electric or gas utility industry regulations is desirable, but not required
- Knowledge of regulatory agencies and commissions
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Juris Doctor from accredited law school is a bonus
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as individually on complex assignments.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to exercise judgment
- Ability to lead and manage professionals