The Sr. Manager, Co-Man Quality will ensure that Vital Farms continues to produce the best quality products for the marketplace within our rigorous standards, focusing on supplier quality throughout the entire life cycle, from initial sourcing through development, tooling and commercial phases as well as supplier activities. That means you leave nothing unchecked, unverified, or unresolved. The buck stops with you because you are responsible for directing and orchestrating the supplier quality program for direct materials and Finished Goods across the global supply network.
As Sr. Manager, Co-Man Quality, you will be developing and improving several Supplier Quality Management processes including the implementation of supplier scorecards, executing our supplier quality management strategy, and driving accountability for response time and effectiveness. Got all that? Good. Now recite that back without looking.
In this role, you will work closely with a variety of external suppliers and vendors, contracted manufacturing partners, and internal partners. In fact, you might become so close that you decide to send all of them birthday cards. Not that you have to, but that’s the kind of thoughtful approach to relationships we’re talking about. If operational and technical issues come up, you’ll have a strong enough bond with your vendor partners that you can speak candidly to get those issues resolved.
That’s where leadership comes in. In this role, you will be leading new processes to drive continuous improvement, developing best in class inspection methodologies based on design, process, and material risks.
As someone who appreciates the nitty gritty details and a well-organized bullet pointed list, here’s what else you can expect on a day-to-day basis:
- Evaluate business goals, identify improvement opportunities and apply scientific methods, statistics and problem-solving techniques to improve and sustain product quality and process effectiveness. Go science! Go math!
- Work cross functionally with contracted manufacturing partners and suppliers to regulate and protect finished goods with superior quality. In other words, lead the charge, play nice, multi-task, and make sure everything is great.
- Manage facility and/or production line qualification process of all assigned ingredient/ packaging materials suppliers, contract manufacturing sites, and 3PL warehouses
- Manage and refine the Food Safety plan for Finished Goods.
- Conduct quarterly quality performance, risk assessments, and approval reviews to ensure that GFSI and other 3rd party certifications are achieved . . . check, double check, and triple check
- Lead Quality-driven projects to evaluate manufacturing solutions and make recommendations to senior management.
- Ensure that Vital Farms’ Supplier Quality Procedures, Co-Man Manual and specs are revised and updated to ensure compliance with new regulations and Vital Farms’ policy changes, including Co-man Quality KPI’s.
- Perform quarterly mock-recalls with contracted manufacturing partners. Perform quarterly mock-rock concerts on your own time, uploading to YouTube when you’re done.
- Assist operating units with development and implementation of corrective and preventive action plans to improve overall compliance and quality results
- Develop training materials and conduct training sessions on quality improvement tools & methodologies, remembering that Elaine, Dwayne, and Shane got out of the rain and took the train to Spain.
What You Bring to the Table:
- First, you bring a big ol’ helping of passion for ethically-sourced, nutritious food and purpose-driven brands. And you bring extra napkins.
- Second, you bring 8-10 years in a Quality Management or Quality Engineering role experience in CPG industry and 3-5 years of management experience (OK, technically, that was second and third; good job noticing that)
- You like to travel, see new places and meet new people; travel up to 25% required
- Must be located within the United States, or be willing to relocate
- Bachelors or above in engineering or related technical discipline
- Experience dealing with domestic and non-domestic contract manufacturers and suppliers. Affinity for domestic beer not required.
- Working knowledge of quality systems and manufacturing operations. Why would we ask for non-working knowledge? That’d just be silly.
- Experience and familiarity with GMPs, HACCP, GFSI, PCQI, USDA, FDA and other third-party regulatory agency driven policies. Experience as a VIP on your HOA board is A-OK.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to build close cross-functional relationships with Vital Farm team members.
- Leadership capabilities for working across varied cultures, expertise and backgrounds. Experience with backgammon isn’t mandatory, but when we do eventually resume our annual backgammon tournament, you’ll be our number one draft pick.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills for bridging understanding between technical knowledge and business partners, for negotiating timelines, effective international collaboration and ensuring compliance of the organization with requirements
- You believe “we” is greater than “me”. You know the power of teamwork and celebrate the work of others before your own.
- You give a sh*t. About the animals. About relationships. About keeping things real. You believe in acting like an owner and making Vital Farms a place to be proud of.
- You hold yourself to the highest standards and you strive to improve yourself and others each and every day, even Saturdays, when you simultaneously brew four pots of water and experiment with different spice combinations to create the perfect cup of Chai
- You can walk in someone else’s boots – You seek to understand other’s viewpoints and think that you get to better answers by sitting on the same side of the table.
- Honest conversations don’t ruffle your feathers and you don’t walk on eggshells. If you see something in the organization that can be improved, you’re not afraid to speak up and you expect your colleagues to do the same.
What We Bring to the Table:
- A fast-paced, energetic environment with passionate people who are leading a movement to bring ethically produced food to the table
- Competitive pay and benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, Paid Parental Leave, and weekly lunches, just to name a few)
- Company-wide bonus program; when we succeed together, we celebrate together
- Generous retirement contributions: 401(k) + 3% Contribution from Day 1
- Free eggs, butter, and ghee, along with friends and family discounts
- Fun team SWAG that will make you the talk of the town
- Professional development opportunities and an amazing team dedicated to your growth