The Sr. Manager of Clinical Experience (SMCE) is a solutions-focused leader who is wholly responsible for the driving the execution and sustainability of patient experience initiatives and programs tailored to the needs of the campus' strategic business units. This role will be responsible for empowering teams to elevate patient experience to top quartile performance. The Sr. Manager collaborates with the Clinical Experience Director on a regular basis for clear direction and insight on the organizational imperatives for patient experience. The SMCE will own strategy implementation at the campus level. The Sr. Manager uses knowledge, experience and expertise in hospital operations, patient safety, quality and patient and family centered care, Press-Ganey/CMS CAHPS, and evidence-based best practices to collaboratively consult and support clinical and non-clinical leaders in the planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of a comprehensive patient and family experience strategy for their campus/scope of responsibility. Additionally, the Sr. Manager designs and leads strategies to improve physician communication patient satisfaction results, which includes interactive workshops, individual coaching, and in-depth analysis of patient satisfaction results. The Sr. Manager of Clinical Experience is directly responsible for clinical experience outcome metric monitoring, analysis, communication, sustainment planning, and corrective action in collaboration with campus leadership and multi-campus Director of Clinical Experience. The SMCE can demonstrate critical thinking skills, creativity, and has the knowledge and experience to manage resources to achieve quality performance, positive employee relations, and compliance with hospital guidelines. The SMCE is a skilled coach, motivator, mentor, and leader for professional and technical teams in the delivery of services for our patient population. This leader will collaborate with and support the Regional Executive Director and multi-campus Director of Clinical Experience in on-going operational planning, communication, educational and process development and deployments and regional training experiences. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
Knowledge, Skills, Education, & Experience Required:
- Demonstrates a commitment to excellence, continuously looking for improvements, and accepts responsibility for actions and results
- Strong organizational skills, self-directed, and ability to manage multiple priorities/projects
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, with the ability to articulate complex information in understandable terms to all levels of leadership, physicians, and staff
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Highly skilled public speaker with ability to effectively communicate to executive leaders, physicians and frontline staff
- Ability to manage and work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Demonstrates effective problem solving
- Ability to be a change agent who positively influences others to gain acceptance for important clinical programs and processes for the Central Florida Division – South Region.
- Ability to teach, translate, and interpret patient satisfaction and voice of the customer data as a tool to enhance patients' and families' experiences
- Performance Improvement training (Preferred)
- Performance Improvement experience (Preferred)
- Bachelor's degree in business administration or healthcare administration or nursing
- Master's degree in nursing or business administration, or healthcare administration (Preferred)
- Two (2) years of leadership experience with ability to educate, mentor, and counsel effectively
- Two (2) years' experience in behavioral coaching
- Four (4) years of professional experience in business operations, performance improvement, and/or healthcare
- Ten (10) or more years of professional experience in business operations, performance improvement, and/or healthcare (Preferred)
- Experience in a similar role (Preferred)
Licensure, Certification, or Registration Required:
- Current, valid State of Florida RN Licensure or Patient Experience Certification.
- Certification in training and/or human performance improvement such as Certified Professional in Learning and Performance (CPLP) or Human Performance Improvement Certification (HPI) by Association of Talent Development (ATD) or University Sponsored Curriculum (Preferred)
- Lean, Six Sigma Black, or Green Belt (Preferred)
- Training certificate from Association of Talent Development (ATD) (Preferred)
Demonstrates through behavior AdventHealth's Core Values of Keep Me Safe, Love Me, Make it Easy, and Own it as outlined in the organization's Performance Excellence Program.
- SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Directly responsible for driving the execution and sustainment of initiatives and practices across the campus that produce publicly reportable HCAHPS and other patient experience performance which impact performance incentives.
- Matrix reporting responsibility to campus' executive leaders, most directly assisting the Director(s) of nursing while also maintaining an integral alignment with the regional multi-campus Director of Clinical Experience and a collaborative role with the regional CE team in the development and deployment of regional change initiatives and best practices while leading and aligning this work at their campuses to drive results for organizational CE imperatives.
- Develops and maintains strong collegial partnerships with Nurse Managers of every nursing unit and leaders of ancillary departments at the campuses to understand unit dynamics (leaders, team, culture, case mix) to influence, coach and support the clinical team through implementation of patient experience best practice and validation processes in collaboration with multi-campus Director of Clinical Excellence and campus leadership.
- Leads in process improvement observations, assessments, validations and accountability reviews (including but not limited to Performance Review Committee meetings) and designs tailored improvement models for patient experience practice and AdventHealth service standards, which may encompass an entire campus, or targeted departments.
- Consults with executive and department leaders on metric results and best practice strategies for improving the experience of patients and families
- Responsible for maintaining an active role with the regional CE team and participates in the orientation and training of new nurses, new hires, education, and regional planning and deployments.
- Develops and mentors clinical and non-clinical team members and leaders to perform at an optimal level, effectively result in excellent patient experience and quality performance outcomes. Assists executive leaders and Director(s) of Nursing in accountability coaching to nurse managers and ancillary leaders
- Manages patient experience physician strategies through collaborative and collegial relationships with nursing leaders, physician leaders and consultants to drive top quartile performance in patient experience (Press-Ganey/CMS CAHPS). Oversees an innovative course curriculum and project managers and clinicians that shadow, coach, and educate physicians on patient and family interactions and communication.
- Develops and maintains excellent collegial relationships with campus leaders to understand culture and priorities and to facilitate partnerships in the work that will support patient experience excellence across the campus.
- COMPLIANCE/REGULATORY RESPONSIBILITY:
- Accountable for assuring compliance and provides evidence of performance federal regulatory requirements
- Participates in clinical practice changes as a result of performance improvement activities related to top quartile performance metrics.
- Participates in state and federal regulatory compliance readiness as directed by campus clinical leadership and provides evidence of performance.
- OPERATING & CAPITAL BUDGET/FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY:
- Understands the broad impact of reimbursement on the delivery of patient care services, including but not limited to Medicare, Managed care, Medicaid, third party providers, challenges to current health care policies, and key legislative initiatives at the local, state, and national level.
- Fosters patient, family, staff, and physician experience excellence. Understands the impact of dissatisfaction on the business goals of the campus.
- STRATEGIC PLANNING RESPONSIBILITY:
- Effectively translates and communicates strategic plans related to patient experience with patients, families, employees, physicians and other campus leaders.
- Accomplishes objectives, celebrates successes, and communicates a shared vision for the organization.
- PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT RESPONSIBILITY:
- Ensures that practice changes, as a result of performance improvement activities, are implemented.
- Translates quality patient experience standards and initiatives through collaboration with leadership and implementation of evidence-based practice where appropriate.
- Appropriately integrates technology into the day-to-day care of the patient and leverage technology to improve patient care outcomes
- Ability to be a change agent who positively influences and coaches others to gain acceptance for important regional and clinical programs and processes
- Responsible for tracking and trending evidence-based practices and compares them to internal and external benchmarking data.
- Oversees complex clinical analytics with a detailed understanding of data that is essential to physician and operation improvement. Is proficient in using patient satisfaction results (Press-Ganey/CMS CAHPS) to lead in educating and communicating through written and narrative descriptions, charts, graphs and tables, and/or presentation form.
- COMMUNITY RELATIONS RESPONSIBILITY:
- Listens, analyzes, trends and responds to the voice of the customer, patients, families, team members and volunteers. This includes facilitation of two-way communication and content of patient experience social media and patient satisfaction data.
- STAFFING/LABOR/SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY:
- Provides feedback, instructions, and developmental guidance to help others excel in their current or future job responsibilities.
- Creates an environment in which others are setting expectations and holding each other accountable.