This position is responsible for managing the delivery and execution of Exact Sciences employee medical, vision, dental, disability, flexible spending, COBRA, long- and short-term disability insurance, life insurance, transportation benefits, critical illness and accident insurance, and other benefits. This position oversees the annual enrollment and benefits renewal process, including the evaluation/re-evaluation of benefit providers and benefit enhancements each year. The Senior Manager, Benefits plays a key role in the delivery of communication and education around the benefits to new and current employees and leads the team responsible for triaging and addressing employee questions or issues regarding benefits. The Senior Manager, Benefits also oversees the auditing and reporting while managing the administration of the benefits plans and partners with payroll (which reports into Finance) and other departments for reporting and communication of important information regularly.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement strategy for administration of employee benefit plans, including but not limited to: medical (self-funded), dental, vision, Flexible Spending Accounts, Life & ADD insurance, voluntary benefits and disability insurance.
- Manage relationships with brokers & outside consultants as well as with insurance carriers and potential external administrators.
- Continually assess employee benefit plans, staying abreast of industry trends and working with brokers or outside benefit vendors to ensure that the benefits package remains competitive and consistent with Exact Sciences’ goals, culture and objectives.
- Manage and execute changes to benefits documentation, such as original and amended plan texts, benefit agreements and insurance policies. Instruct our brokers, insurance carriers, and other administrative agencies outside the company to effect changes in benefits program. Ensure prompt and accurate compliance.
- Ensure company compliance with provisions of Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Manage and prepare reports and applications required by law to be filed with federal and state agencies, such as Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor, insurance commissioners, and other regulatory agencies. Review and analyze changes to state and federal laws pertaining to benefits and report necessary or suggested changes to management. Coordinate company benefits with government-sponsored programs.
- Manage and provide guidance on benefit inquiries and issues to ensure quick, equitable, courteous resolution.
- Coordinate with HRIS and Payroll to ensure smooth open enrollment and new hire process.
- Provide ongoing communications to employees regarding Exact Sciences’ benefit plans, including the development and enhancement of new hire onboarding sessions (in-person & via web conference).
- Oversee management of employee accommodations, leaves of absence relating to FMLA, including disability insurance, and workers compensation claims.
- Oversee COBRA administration to ensure necessary information is provided regarding COBRA rights upon employee exit.
- Manage maintenance of enrollment administration records for all benefit plans.
- Supervise staff including but not limited to organize and prioritize work, write/conduct performance reviews, train/develop, and manage work performance.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work normal schedule of Monday through Friday during normal business hour.
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds for approximately 5% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work seated for approximately 90% of a typical working day. Ability to work standing for approximately 10% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 90% of a typical working day.
- Ability to comply with any applicable personal protective equipment requirements.
- Ability to travel approximately 10% of working time.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field; or Associate’s degree and 2 years of relevant experience in lieu of degree.
- 7+ years of progressive experience in the employee benefits function with both regular, full-time and part-time exempt and non-exempt employee populations.
- 4+ years of direct leadership experience with proven track record of successful team engagement, development and performance.
- Experience administering benefit plans and experience evaluating new benefit plans and carriers.
- Deep knowledge of applicable benefits-related regulations, such as ERISA, ACA, FMLA, ADA, COBRA, etc..
- Ability to handle confidential employee information with discretion and judgment.
- Experience working with HR systems (ADP Workforce Now and Workday preferred).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; must be able to explain plan details in a clear, easy to understand manner; must be able to present to groups of people effectively with confidence and strong content delivery.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships with employees, vendors, insurance carriers and consultants.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, growth environment with ability to work independently as well as within a highly collaborative team environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft suite of Power Point, Word, Excel (above beginner level).
- Demonstrated resourcefulness – ability to find sources of accurate information and thoroughly understand a process or product to the point where you can help educate others.
- Strong customer service orientation; demonstrated willingness to help and go above and beyond for others (internal and external stakeholders and customers).
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
Req No. 2019-3407