This positions primary responsibility is to provide guidance, direction and support in the development and execution of a Divisional Merchandising Strategy. This strategy must be capable of driving sales and margin while delivering customer centric localized assortments. This individual will develop processes and analytics that will influence merchandise strategies, product selection, and improve our organizational processes using more space aware data to make assortment decisions. This role is responsible for developing the overall assortment plan and space strategy for Canada. This Manager should be an advocate for implementing assortment planning best practices across the portfolio of categories and provide guidance and support to Space Planners in their roles.
This role is responsible for delivering merchandising direction to their team which is aligned with category strategy, presentation guidelines and shelf space analytics. As a Manager, Assortment Optimization & Space Planning, you will be responsible for leading both the assortment decision making process and space change decisions for both major category releases as well as localization and optimization projects that support the merchandise strategy and financial objectives for your respective division. In addition to that, you will:
- Work in collaboration with Buyers to determine category review goals and objectives, conduct standard and ad hoc analysis to identify key drivers of performance, recommend assortment decisions that will improve category performance and assist in the development of financial plans that reflect category changes.
- Collaborate with Buyers and Corporate Space to determine the correct application and utilization of Store Clustering by POG group. Utilizing any and all of the following: marketplace and macroeconomic trends impacting the category including competitive assessment, vendor portfolio strengths and weaknesses including private brand, line structure, customer and store feedback, identifying key product attributes and regional performance.
- Provide strategic direction to the Space Planners and personally consolidate optimization data components and perform analysis; interpret data trends and create space recommendations based on findings. Ensure adherence to prescribed processes and evaluate execution of space planning activities by direct reports, apply object performance standards.
- Build collaborative relationships, drive merchandising and space recommendations, support and educate partners on space principles and influence to promote a positive customer shopping experience.
- Collaborate with the Buying and Allocation teams to influence assortment and promotional initiatives and projects.
- Lead and generate the analytics required to complete localized assortment planning process in compliance with the integrated planning calendar, timelines and standards and conduct post-mortems to identify key learning insights for future planning processes.
- Conduct Ad-Hoc analyses using internal data sources, external market, vendor and retail trends to support the enterprise.
- Lead the SKU rationalization analysis and implementation for the Canadian Business
- Use Consumer insights and data combined with a structured test and learn approach to maximize growth opportunities.
- Supervise Space Planners and provide the direction to create, monitor and maintain effective and efficient planograms for assigned business categories and projects. Actively engage in the Performance Management process and invest in personal development and continuous improvement activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES, include but are not limited to:
- Achieves Sales, Margin, and Inventory Turnover and other KPIs as designated to plan.
- Develops overall division strategy vision, policies, resources, and execution plans to align to the corporate strategy.
- Develops and maintains Space and Assortment Plan according to planning calendar.
- Leads the development and execution of space and localized assortment plans fully encompassing category requirements and plan development processes and methodology (including POG development).
- Owns the end-to-end management of space planning and assortment optimization; set targets and achieves plans for inventory and space productivity required to support the sales and gross margin plans; optimize end-caps, drive aisle, and in-line consistent with consumer shopping patterns.
- Participates in the seasonal, annual, and long-range strategic and financial planning across the enterprise.
- Lead, execute and measure performance against the business planning and product creation calendars to drive timely and informed decision making.
- Supports the VP & Director to present within various strategic meetings for the Canada
- Actively create and lead special projects that drive growth opportunities.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degreerequired, preferably with a business focus.
- 5 plus years related experience, with 2+ years of managerial experiencepreferred and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- JDA Intactix (or equivalent) experiencepreferred.
- Strong analytic and strategic thinking skill set.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to translate complex business concepts from various departments into clear, easy-to-understand language.
- Excellent meeting facilitation skills.
- Exceptional time management skills and ability to consistently meet deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in a team environment and build relationships, trust and rapport quickly.
- Self-starter with great attention to detail and producer of high-quality work.
- Ability to influence decisions by creating a strong case for action, using analytical findings.