The Senior Major Gifts Officer manages a portfolio of 150+ active individual donors, guiding them through the Moves Management cycle with intent of cultivating and soliciting gifts of $100,000 or more. This position works with the Senior Director of Development for Principal and Major Gifts, Chief Development Officer, and Joslin Leadership to grow the pool of prospective major gift donors in support of Joslin.
In the current environment, this role will allow for remote/virtual interviewing as well as having the ability to begin remotely.
- Manage a portfolio of 150+ active prospects that have the capacity to give $100,000+, balancing exploratory visits designed to qualify suspects and key cultivation moves that will bring the prospect closer to solicitation, with regular and specific stewardship communications.
- Shares responsibility for strategic planning, development, and implementation of the Development Office's goals in collaboration with the Senior Director of Development for Principal and Major Gifts and other major gift officers.
- Meet monthly metric goals for in-person donor visits in addition to regular correspondence and phone calls, to ensure that prospects and donors are qualified and moved through the Moves Management stages toward solicitation. Ensure that the best donors and prospects are receiving personal, regular and substantive communication.
- Qualify new prospects to determine if they are potential major gifts donors. Work with the Director Prospect Research and Management to define appropriate capacity and inclination criteria for current donors. Develop processes and strategies to cultivate new donor prospects.
- Work collaboratively with the Operations Team, as necessary, to assist with reporting, major giving analytics, data integrity and process improvement.
- Utilize the fundraising database (Raiser's Edge) to manage and track planned actions and accomplished moves with constituents.
- Cultivate and manage strong working relationships with volunteer leadership, clinicians and researchers to identify potential donors and to enhance relationships with current donors, providing information to donors with the intent of encouraging further involvement in and giving to Joslin.
- Share responsibility with department leadership and other fundraising staff for staffing relevant boards and committees. Engage prospective donors in cultivation opportunities including Leadership Council, President's Round Tables and Signature Events.
- Serve as liaison to a clinical section to strengthen working relationships with clinicians and researchers leading to the identification and cultivation of a larger pool of prospects.
- Work with the annual giving staff to coordinate mailings and ensure that deliberate decisions are made and strategies exists for the inclusion or exclusion of major gift prospects and donors from annual mailings.
- Firm grasp of wide range of medically related terms and crucial issues facing health care profession and ability to write and speak to them in a concise way.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree
- A minimum of 7 years of leadership, major gift fundraising, or professional equivalent experience
- Demonstrated success in soliciting $100,000+ major and/or planned gifts
- Demonstrated success in volunteer management
- Intermediate command of Microsoft Office Suite
- Proficiency in a donor or membership based database (Raiser's Edge)
- Ability to write concise, logical, grammatically correct proposals and acknowledgements to maintain donor relationships and solicit major gifts
- Ability to speak on a one-to-one basis to inform and engage prospects and donors as part of Moves Management cycle
- Some travel to regional major gift meetings and one-on-one meetings with donors and prospects
- Occasional night and weekend work