Be Here. Be Great! Working for a leader in the insurance industry means a great opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group’s member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial Group, a Fortune 500 company. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
Great American Loss Control is currently seeking a Senior Loss Control Consultant who will provide technically competent loss control services and conduct onsite activities to help acquire and retain profitable business, in accordance with the company and business teams' policies and objectives.
The person hired will work from home and travel within their territory, mainly in Illinois, Western Michigan and Western Indiana. There is approximately 30% - 40% travel. A company car will be provided, requiring a good driving record.
Job title and grade will depend on the successful applicant's level of experience.
- Surveys and Services commercial risks of any size and/or complexity for all lines of coverage.
- Plans and coordinates all service account scheduling and activities.
- Provides risk management consultation services and Risk Improvement recommendations.
- Provides value-added customer services to insureds, agents, and company underwriting teams.
- Maintains good communications at all levels with agents, underwriters, customers.
- Demonstrates professionalism with all customers, agents, underwriters on/ about visits and communications.
- Assists team selling efforts for large accounts to acquire and retain quality accounts.
- Assists in training commercial lines underwriters.
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 8+ years loss control experience with an insurance carrier/company.
- Passion and ability to deliver outstanding customer service.
- Strong desire and ability to collaborate with customers and internal partners.
- Strong casualty and property knowledge (with the ability to evaluate commercial sprinkler systems).
- Must have the following degrees of knowledge and technical proficiency:
- Basic knowledge of underwriting and product management skills.
- Expert knowledge of Loss Control and marketing requirements for a least one commercial lines product.
- Broad knowledge of commercial lines of insurance coverage, engineering principles and loss control concepts, safety standards and codes (i.e. OSHA, DOT, EPA, CPSC, NFPA, etc.).
- Designations are a plus: ARM, CFPS, ASP, CSP, PE, or a Master’s degree in Safety and Health.
- Strong communication skills both internally and with customers, including conducting safety training.
- Must have a satisfactory motor vehicle record.
- Strong computer skills.
- Requires continuous and prolonged walking and standing.
- Requires frequent lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling of objects up to 50 lbs.
- Requires frequent climbing, bending, twisting, stooping, kneeling and crawling.
- Requires overhead reaching and grabbing.
- Requires regular and predictable attendance.
- Requires ability to conduct visual inspections.
- Requires work outdoors, in inclement weather conditions.
- Requires frequent travel.
- Requires ability to operate a motor vehicle.