Are you interested in contributing to an organization that is protecting the nation and changing the fields of software and cybersecurity? Come join our IT Unix Systems Team as a Linux Systems Administrator. You will focus on the operation and administration of systems hosting various Linux-based information services in a multi-platform environment. We are looking for an enthusiastic learner with experience operating and maintaining production Linux-based IT services, working knowledge of scripting languages and configuration management tools, and demonstrated participation in the entire critical IT service lifecycle. You understand IP networks, mail systems, basic script writing and maintenance skills (e.g. bash, Perl), and have a general administrative familiarity with open-source technologies (e.g. Sendmail, BIND, PostgreSQL, Apache).
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Information Science, Information Technology with one year of experience
- Movement between buildings within the SEI and CMU community required.
- You will be subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work evening/weekend hours periodically. This is required in order to perform service outside of normal operating hours. There is a rotating on-call component to this position – average call volume is very light, about 3-5 calls/week. This person will respond to outage events at the main facility in Pittsburgh, PA (Oakland) in a reasonable time (within ~30 minutes).
- Capable of operating and administering Linux systems and their applications with little technical oversight based on documented operations practices.
- Shown skill in analyzing logging and other diagnostic output from multiple systems to resolve issues is huge plus.
- Temperament to serve as a second-tier escalation point helpdesk issues.
- Stellar verbal and written communication skills, as you will function as a liaison between customer groups, the helpdesk, and systems engineers
- Licenses: RHCE, RHCSA
- Experience with preparation of systems to conform to DISA STIG guidelines, executing Security Readiness Review (SRR) scripts, following DISA Security Checklists and resolving findings in preparation for IA review and accreditation.
- Experience automating log analysis and generating reports from analysis.
- Enterprise-level operation of collections of systems running Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- Experience in a virtualized environment (e.g. VMware ESX). Understanding of Kerberos and interaction with Microsoft Active Directory.
- Experience with compiling, packaging and debugging software packages.
- Experience with firewalls, basic software building, advanced troubleshooting of multi-system applications and general software development skills in a Unix-based language such as Perl, Python, or Ruby.
- Experience with systems tools such as Red Hat Network Satellite, Puppet, Chef.