As the Senior Legal Specialist you will draft and review benefit contracts, endorsements, certificates of coverage, and summary plan descriptions at the direction of Assistant General Counsel. You will be responsible for researching, analyzing, and interpreting state and federal insurance laws and related regulations impacting Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska (BCBSNE) insurance products. You will also assist Product Managers in the development of new insurance products and management of existing products.
What you'll do:
- Draft benefit contracts, endorsements, applications, certificates of coverage, and summary plan descriptions at the direction of Assistant General Counsel.
- Review benefits contracts, endorsements, certificates of coverage and summary plan descriptions for clarity, plain language, consistency with contracts/master group application/client profile, and compliance with state and federal laws and regulations.
- Research and analyze state and federal insurance laws and related regulations (including, but not limited to, ERISA, HIPAA, COBRA, Medicare, and PPACA) impacting BCBSNE insurance products.
- Provide support to the Product Managers in the development of new insurance products and management of existing products.
- Provide guidance, direction, and assistance to operational areas of the Company such as Marketing, Account Management, Sales, Customer Service, Benefits/Auditing, Compliance/Ethics, Underwriting/Membership, and Vendor Contracting.
- Prepare and file documents with the Department of Insurance, including plain language scoring. Respond to questions directly to Department of Insurance contacts.
- Provide general support to the attorneys in the legal department as assigned.
- Provide general support to other areas of the legal department as assigned.
- Review use of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield service marks to ensure compliance with Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) rules. Provide guidance, direction, and support for departments using the service marks, such as Corporate Communications and Marketing. Manage and submit requests for derivate marks to BCBSA.
To be considered for this position, you must have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Business or Health Care Administration or related field
- At least 5 years’ experience interpreting both Nebraska and federal health insurance and employee benefits laws and regulations
- Experience filing/submitting documents with Nebraska Department of Insurance or equivalent regulatory agency PC experience, including word processing. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted for this requirement.
- The ability to meet or exceed the attendance and timeliness requirements of their departments.
- The ability to work well in a team environment, and be capable of building and maintaining positive relationships with other staff, departments, and customers.
The strongest candidates for this position will also possess:
- Experience interpreting Blue Cross Blue Shield Association Brand Rules preferred
- Previous supervisory and/or management experience preferred
We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better workplace for our employees and a better product for our customers and members.