Practical Law US is looking for a full-time Senior Upstream Oil & Gas Legal Editor to work on resources for our Law Firm and Law Department subscribers. This role can be located out of a home office anywhere in the United States if the candidate does not live near a Thomson Reuters office.
The Editor will:
- Develop ideas for the upstream Oil & Gas sector content to be published as part of Practical Law's online services.
- Write and edit legal resources, including standard form documents, practice guidance notes, checklists, and current awareness in accordance with the Practical Law writing style.
- Write and edit content for Practical Law's companion magazine, Practical Law The Journal.
- Establish and maintain relationships with external law firm contributors.
- Develop relationships with lawyers in private practice and in-house counsel to ensure that the upstream Oil & Gas content is topical and meets their needs.
- Support the sales and marketing teams in their efforts to market the Oil & Gas content, including by giving presentations at conferences and offices of potential subscribers and by responding to subscriber inquiries regarding Oil & Gas resources.
Minimum of eight (8) years' experience working as a transactional lawyer in a law firm or in-house with significant expertise in upstream Oil & Gas transactions, with substantial Texas practice experience.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience representing surface owners, mineral owners, Oil & Gas companies, and other parties in matters related to the exploration and production of Oil & Gas, including the negotiation and drafting of some of the following agreements:
- Oil & Gas leases.
- Conveyance and transfer agreements, such as deeds, assignments, rights of way, and reservations.
- Purchase and sale agreements and related transaction documents to acquire Oil & Gas properties and equipment.
- Contribution (support) agreements, such as acreage-contribution agreements.
- Drilling contracts.
- Farmout agreements.
- Operating agreements.
- Gas balancing agreements.
- Division orders.
- Pooling and unitization agreements.
Experience and familiarity in any of the following areas of the upstream Oil & Gas sector a plus:
- Representing exploration and production companies, oilfield services companies, or other parties in the upstream Oil & Gas industry in transactions such as mergers, acquisitions, and sales of Oil & Gas (or related) assets and properties.
- Drafting and negotiating governing documents, such as LLC agreements and limited partnership agreements, and other agreements related to general corporate governance of upstream Oil & Gas companies.
- In addition to Texas, relevant experience representing upstream companies with interests in, or subject to the laws of, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Louisiana, North Dakota, Ohio, or Federal Offshore jurisdictions.
Candidates should also possess:
- A good understanding of the needs and priorities of both law firm attorneys and in-house counsel.
- Skill and passion for writing, including:
- very close attention to detail;
- impressive command of grammar, punctuation, and plain English; and
- the ability to write about complex legal issues clearly and simply.
- Ability to constantly collaborate with and support team members.
- Flexibility and enthusiasm for working on a dynamic editorial team.
Candidates selected for a second interview will be required to submit a writing sample.
This role can be located out of a home office anywhere in the United States if the candidate does not live near a Thomson Reuters office.