Purpose of Job:
The incumbent will provide legal advice on a broad range of matters, including advising on securities, corporate/commercial and regulatory matters pertaining to our investment dealer, financial planning, investment management, private banking and trust businesses, regulatory developments, legal and regulatory
risks, policies and procedures, client-facing documentation, negotiating and drafting of commercial agreements, marketing initiatives and operational matters, and delivery of wealth management products and services both domestically and internationally.
- Provides legal analysis, documentation, negotiation, preparation, review, research and advice and counsel
- to line management on matters of above average complexity in the development of new programs.
- Researches legal issues of substantial complexity on a national or regional basis and researches proposed
- federal and provincial legislation to evaluate impact on the Bank; may initiate the research of more junior counsel or articling students; informs management on developing legal trends and their impact on operations and recommends courses of action; creates and maintains systems and precedents within the Legal Department and for use by business line partners as appropriate
- Represents the Bank at meetings or on committees with government, public and private organizations;
- researches and prepared submissions to government bodies on legislation and other issues affecting the organization.
- Directs the activity of outside counsel.
- Recommends and/or carries out the course of action to be taken regarding litigation.
- Supervises the work of counsel and staff within a group, including setting work standards, methods and
- procedures within the Department in accordance with company-wide policies and appraising work performance.
- Graduate of a recognized law school
- Membership in the Law Society of one of the provinces of Canada.
- At least 10 years of securities and corporate/commercial law in a law firm,
- Major financial institution and/or securities regulatory body.
- Experience relating to wealth management, securities registrant regulation, the Canadian regulatory
- Environment and financial services is highly desirable.
Requisition ID: 20979