Purpose of Job:
Will provide legal guidance on a broad range of matters, including developing and offering documentation relating to publicly and privately offered investment funds, drafting and negotiating investment management agreements, advising on securities regulatory developments and legal and regulatory risks, drafting policies and procedures, and negotiating and drafting commercial agreements.
- Provides legal analysis, documentation, negotiation, preparation, review, research and advice and counsel
- to line management on matters of above average complexity in the development of new programs.
- Researches legal issues of substantial complexity on a national or regional basis and researches proposed
- federal and provincial legislation to evaluate impact on the Bank; may initiate the research of more junior counsel or articling students; informs management on developing legal trends and their impact on operations and recommends courses of action; creates and maintains systems and precedents within the Legal Department and for use by business line partners as appropriate
- Represents the Bank at meetings or on committees with government, public and private organizations;
- researches and prepared submissions to government bodies on legislation and other issues affecting the organization.
- Directs the activity of outside counsel.
- Recommends and/or carries out the course of action to be taken regarding litigation.
- Supervises the work of counsel and staff within a group, including setting work standards, methods and
- procedures within the Department in accordance with company-wide policies and appraising work performance.
- Graduate of a recognized law school
- Membership in the Law Society of one of the provinces of Canada.
- Have at least 10 years of securities law experience in a law firm, major financial institution and/or
- Securities regulatory body, with an emphasis on asset management and investment fund products.
- Knowledge of the mutual fund industry and the Canadian regulatory environment is essential.