Do you want to help make the world a better place with your legal and leadership skills? We are seeking a Senior Legal Counsel based in New York to work alongside the Economic Justice Program to advise on all program related impact investments and structure, negotiate and draft contracts.
The Open Society Foundations works to build vibrant and inclusive democracies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people. We are active in more than 120 countries, making us the world's largest private funder of independent groups working for justice, democratic governance, and human rights.
While this position sits within the Office of the General Counsel, it partners with the Economic Justice Program to lead all of the legal related functions across the program's practice groups. This includes ensuring compliancy with applicable law and internal policies and procedures for all of its advocacy, grant making and program related investment (PRI) activities carried out through the Soros Economic Development Fund (SEDF).
As a/an Senior Legal Counsel at Open Society, you will:
- Work with the investment team (located in NY and London) to structure, negotiate, draft documentation and advise on all of the program related impact investments entered into by OSF and SEDF worldwide, including debt, equity, guarantee instruments and fund structures for the initial investment as well as any amendments, restructurings and workouts
- Provide opinions on compliance with PRI requirements under the U.S. tax-exempt rules
- Review all investment memoranda and quarterly portfolio company reports with investment teams with a particular focus on social purpose
- Review all consultancy agreements, confidentiality agreements, and memoranda of understanding
- Manage relationships with internal OSF legal departments and outside U.S. and local counsel
- Advise on exempt organizations' law, including compliance with tax laws and regulations applicable to private foundations, such as PRI rules, jeopardizing investments, private benefit, expenditure responsibility, self-dealing qualifying distributions, as well as lobbying restrictions and political activity prohibitions
What we are looking for:
- Advanced degree (J.D.) from an accredited law school; must be admitted to practice in New York State or must be willing to be admitted
- Familiarity with grant making, defamation, software licenses, and/or OFAC issues a plus
- Excellent contract drafting and negotiating skills, detail oriented with excellent follow-through
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), including in a virtual environment
- Integrity, professional discretion and ability to handle sensitive/confidential matters
- the ability to work under pressure, manage workload, prioritize, manage simultaneous tasks, meet deadlines and maintain a sense of humor within a changing fast-paced environment
Desirable (but not required):
- Experience working in the exempt organizations field strongly preferred;
- Superior organizational and strong interpersonal skills with the ability to listen effectively;
- Expert in identifying and resolving complex issues;