The Senior Legal Counsel of Gilbane Development Company will be an integral part of the development team. Among other things, the Senior Legal Counsel will advise the team. The attorney in this position will report to the General Counsel of Gilbane Development Company.
Lead acquisition due diligence coordination. Ensure accurate checklist is established and updated in a timely manner. Track all related dates. Coordinate efforts with development managers.
Draft, review and negotiate lease agreements including retail, office, residential and ground leases.
Draft, review and negotiate loan agreements, development agreements, constructioncontracts, LOIs, Purchase and Sale Agreements, Confidentiality Agreements, Operating Agreement, JV Agreements and otherwise work with Development Managers in pursuit of new projects
Research legal issues, as required.
- Title/zoning/easements and environmental matters
- Acquire an expertise in affordable/low income housing to decrease use of outside law firms. The ideal candidate will possess an understanding of affordable housing development projects, including overall deal structuring, Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) financing, land planning, entitlement process, finance, design, construction, marketing and property management.
- Monitor and resolve (i) litigation and/or (ii) disputes which may lead to litigation, including working with outside local counsel as necessary
- Assist and advise on risk management and insurance-related claims
- Construction, architect and other development related contracts, including the AIA
- Insurance and bonding for construction projects
- Selection and management of outside counsel, as required.
- Dispute resolution, including litigation, mediation and arbitration.
- Assist with employee related legal issues, as required.
- Occasional travel may be required.
Education/Experience and Ideal Candidate Qualifications
- The Senior Legal Counsel must possess solid academic credentials from a top tier U.S. law school and approximately 10 years of legal experience counseling businesses in the practice areas listed above, including at least five years of relevant in-house experience. An undergraduatedegree in construction/engineering is a plus.
- 10+ years experience in real estate development
- Understands various tax credit programs
- Experience with a national company in a specific or multiple regions
- Demonstrated experience at the management level—proven managerial skills, ability to mentor and develop staff and foster teamwork and collaborative problem solving
- Self-starter with the ability to manage two to three overlapping projects efficiently in a fast paced environment
- Attention to details and ability to execute them at a high level
- High degree of organizational skills and problem solving ability
- Ability to prioritize/execute to achieve desired company and project goals with prudence and sense of urgency
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong relevant computer skills
- Maintain memberships and participate in organizations and events
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communications skills are essential.