TDS Telecom (TDS) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Telephone and Data Systems, Inc., a Fortune 1000 company. TDS Telecom, headquartered in Madison, WI, operates OneNeck IT Solutions LLC and BendBroadband. Combined, the company employs 3,300 people.
Our dynamic 230+ person IS Team is seeking a seasoned Software Engineer that is versed with object-oriented programming languages. Ideal candidates will have experience in more than one programming language.
The Senior/Lead Software Engineer position works independently or leads teams of 2-4 people responsible for application design, development, testing, and problem resolution work teams with significant autonomy and independence. The scope of work includes small system enhancements to major system projects. As an experienced developer and a beginning technical leader the position receives regular mentoring, feedback, and supervision by senior technical staff and management on team leadership skills.
Applications may include custom developed software, commercial packaged software, or open-source software. Software may consist of on premise applications, cloud-based software and services, hybrid configurations, integration tools, or business workflow tools.
Programming languages in the technical environment include Java, Python, and .Net.
**Please note: We can hire this position as a Senior Software Engineer or Lead Software Engineer. Requirements for each position are listed in the qualifications section. We will assess applicants based on skills set and years of relevant experiences.**
- Leads teams of 2-4 people that develop, test, and fix defects in application software.
- Leads the preparation of overall application software designs at the system level.
- Leads work teams in preparing work estimates and project schedules for all technical work for the projects within the team.
- Leads work team in resolving complex problems that usually are limited to one system.
- Maintains expert knowledge on the systems and tools within the scope of the team's responsibility. Maintains expert knowledge of the business processes supported by the systems. Maintains expert-level knowledge of software development best practices, tools, and methodologies that are recognized throughout Information Systems.
- Leads teams focused on quality and continuous improvement initiatives across business units within the company.
Senior Software Engineer
- Associate's degree (or higher) –OR- 2+ years professional work experience.
- 3+ years experience in software development
Lead Software Engineer
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) –OR- 4+ years professional work experience.
- 5+ years experience in software development.
- Knowledge of software development methodologies, practices, and tools.
- Knowledge of project management methodologies, practices, and tools.
- Knowledge of one more programming languages used by the team.
- Knowledge of software testing practices and tools.
- Knowledge of problem solving techniques and tools.
- Ability to travel as needed for company business and professional development.
- Ability to work nights and weekends as needed for system implementations and resolving system problems.
- Knowledge of business analysis practices and business process modeling.
- Knowledge of quality management and quality improvement practices.
- Knowledge of team leadership skills, practices, and behaviors.