The Lab Manager oversees the day-to-day workings of the lab, playing an essential role in the team’s efforts to advance human health. In this capacity, the Lab Manager is in charge of procurement of reagents, space allocation, equipment maintenance, and overall lab safety. The ideal candidate will perform these duties smoothly while handling additional matters as they arise.
The Lab Manager will interface regularly with other Broad Departments including the Office of Sponsored Research, Procurement, Shipping and Receiving, Comparative Medicine, and the Office of Strategic Alliances and Partnering. The Lab Manager will also serve as the lab’s Environmental Safety Officer and its Lab Operations Representative.
The Xavier lab is a dynamic, impact-driven, and collaborative environment. The lab is a member of the Broad Institute and Massachusetts General Hospital, and a part of the greater Boston life-science community including Harvard and MIT. We strive to support diversity, intellectual curiosity, and integrity.
- Serve as the key contact for the Xavier lab and maintain overall knowledge of lab work underway.
- Place and distribute orders for lab supplies and reagents across multiple user interfaces while adhering to strict budgetary guidelines.
- Assist with budgeting and financial overviews, including analyzing purchasing data and streamlining inventory and costs.
- Frequently monitor team dynamics to ensure optimal team performance and identify training needs.
- Serve as Environmental Health and Safety contact for the lab including managing protocols and procedures, coordinating inspections, attending committee meetings, performing safety reports, updating and maintaining laboratory safety standards and procedures, serving as the emergency preparedness representative for the laboratory, and providing training when necessary.
- Provide laboratory orientations and set up bench space for new members of the laboratory.
- Maintain institutional protocols for lab space, experiments, and animal work.
- Effectively work across various platforms and programs (within the Institute) to achieve results
- Develop and maintain lab infrastructure.
- Communicate with bench scientists regarding logistical and administrative issues in the lab, sometimes by presenting at group meetings.
- Anticipate, troubleshoot, and resolve problems associated with work within the laboratory setting, including off-hours response to laboratory emergencies.
- Consult with literature and other scientific staff as needed to maintain high level of professional expertise
- Track, pack, ship, and maintain records regarding the transfer of intellectual property/biological materials to collaborators within and outside of the Broad Institute.
- Set up and maintain inventories of supplies and reagents that are shared across different projects in the lab.
- Oversee and maintain lab stocks of common reagents and cell lines.
- Assess, set-up, locate, re-locate, and maintain current and new laboratory equipment, and maintain usage calendars associated with said equipment.
- Assist with other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or above in Biology, Biochemistry, or related and 3+ years management experience in a laboratory setting.
- Experience in molecular biology, sterile, and cell culture techniques; animal model research, including protocols; and the operation of standard lab equipment.
- Excellent knowledge of computers and experience with databases required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact with all levels of staff and with external contacts in a fast paced and demanding environment.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Excellent multi-tasking and creative problem solving skills.
- Must possess a high level of initiative and the ability to work with little supervision.
- Excellent conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to prioritize on-the-fly and change gears quickly between tasks.
- Ability to thrive in a high paced environment.