At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Northwestern Mutual is looking for a talented engineer to join our growing Kubernetes Platform team. If you are a software developer do not overlook this incredible opportunity! You can’t be a full stack engineer without the infrastructure. The Kubernetes Platform team develops, maintains, loves, and appreciates all things containers. We enable hundreds of developers to harness the power of Kubernetes and the cloud to deploy amazing apps and infrastructure on their own 1000s of times a day. This is a fun, fast-paced experience that exposes you to cutting-edge cloud technologies and encourages personal learning and development.
Day to Day responsibilities:
- Write code to make using Kubernetes at NM secure, reliable, easy and fun!
- Design and implement solutions to accelerate the business and our developers.
- Support large multi-tenant Kubernetes clusters running 1000’s of applications supporting 100’s of dev teams.
- Educate the development community on how to use Kubernetes and container services at NM
- Partnering with vendors and enterprise teams on emerging best practices, patterns and technology
- Proactively learn emerging platforms and related technology.
- Solve complex technical issues and enable/teach peers to be self-sufficient.
- Establish and maintain best practices as it relates to compliance, security, privacy and legal requirements.
- 5+ years of professional IT experience.
- 3 years experience with AWS Cloud Services (AWS Certified Preferred)
- 3 years experience with containerized applications and container orchestration (Docker, Kubernetes – CKA Perferred)
- 5 years experience with monitoring and performance management/tuning of systems
- 5 years experience with networking
- 5 years experience with Linux based platforms.
- Experience with Infrastructure-as-Code frameworks (Terraform, CloudFormation)
- Experience working with DevOps, CICD, GitOps, Agile methodologies.
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines and automation and how to apply it with services such as Gitlab CI, Jenkins, CodePipeline, or Circle CI.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Problem solver who enjoys learning on the job and thinking outside of the box.
- Closely follow industry trends relevant to your domain and understand how to apply them to your work as appropriate.
- You break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable ones, and help others to do the same.
- You know what tools are available and useful for your domain. You understand how they work, and the sorts of situations and problems for which they're useful. You use them effectively and teach them to your teammates.
It's understandable if you do not meet every one of these criteria! Everyone has a different background and you will be working with a diverse team that can help grow your career.